BMC Teammachine SLR03 105 VS Giant TCR Advanced 2

chautcy
chautcy Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I want to get a new bike and after doing a bit of research and test riding (other options are Merida Scultura 5000, Cannondale CAAD12, Trek Emonda SL6), I am down to two choices, BMC Teammachine SLR03 105 and Giant TCR Advanced 2. What do you think about each option? Please let me know!

BMC Teammachine SLR03 105:
Price: AUD2299 + 3 free servicing.
Spec: Carbon frame, fork and steer tube, 105 shifters and derailleur, shimano non-series brakes and crankset.
Pros: Very good handling, almost "stick" to tarmac when cornering. Fast acceleration and keen climber.
Cons: Heavy, and unnecessarily huge cassette (11-32), also pricy for this spec.

Giant TCR Advanced 2:
Price: AUD2299+1 free servicing+$460 worth of goodies that I can choose.
Spec: Carbon frame and fork, hybrid steer tube. Full 105 groupset.
Pros: Eager accelerator, and also good spec for the price.
Cons: Handling is too sensitive that it feels a bit all over the place. And there is no more my size in 2016 model, so I have to buy the expensive 2017 model.

Greatly appreciate any advices on which bike to choose! Cheers!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I think you've answered your own question. If one of the two bikes on your shortlist is not available, then get the other one.
  • chautcy
    Imposter wrote:
    I think you've answered your own question. If one of the two bikes on your shortlist is not available, then get the other one.
    My apology for the confusion. Both BMC and Giant are available in my size, but BMC is the 2016 model, so I get a deal at $2399 instead of $2999; Whereas Giant doesn't have my size in 2016 model anymore, so the 2017 model is $2299, with $200 worth of goodies to choose from.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would get the BMC. Any bike that offers 'fast acceleration' and 'keen climbing' while feeling 'heavy' has got to be worth a punt.
  • chautcy
    Imposter wrote:
    I would get the BMC. Any bike that offers 'fast acceleration' and 'keen climbing' while feeling 'heavy' has got to be worth a punt.
    It is indeed quite surprising. The bike itself is quite heavy, pushing 8.8kg, but as soon as you start pedalling it just go!
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I have both (2015 models), and I much prefer the Giant. The acceleration and handling is much more responsive, and the frame absorbs rough surfaces better than the BMC. Additionaly, the Giant is more than 1kg lighter, but a lot of that is from the groupset and finishing kit. Both are good, but in my opinion, in different leagues. No chance in hell would I have paid the RRP for the BMC.

Get the one you like the look of.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • chautcy
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    I have both (2015 models), and I much prefer the Giant. The acceleration and handling is much more responsive, and the frame absorbs rough surfaces better than the BMC. Additionaly, the Giant is more than 1kg lighter, but a lot of that is from the groupset and finishing kit. Both are good, but in my opinion, in different leagues. No chance in hell would I have paid the RRP for the BMC.

Get the one you like the look of.

TCR is indeed much lighter, but I'd disagree with regards to the handling. I felt that BMC is really stable through corners, TCR feels a bit nervous. But it could just well be me not being used to a fast handling bike since I am only riding a more relax, entry level bike. Thank you for the input!