Another "is this bike good?" thread for the PX RT-80

JackTar
JackTar Posts: 77
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I've been looking at the Planet X RT-80. Can anyone who has it or know's someone with it give me their impressions? (Yes, I know it's a FM066 from China but that's not the point :wink: ) Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    You can get a lot of good bikes for 1k, what has drawn you to the RT?
  • faarn
    faarn Posts: 52
    I built the 105 RT-80 when on offer for about £700. I have done quite a few ride and am very pleased. I still use my SCR 3.0 which is about 2kg heavier and honestly I am not really quicker on the RT-80 but it is more comfortable. The RT-80 handles well (no flex and is stable on high speed descents 60-70kph), is comfortable and well manufactured. I haven't ridden other carbon bikes to compare but have no complaints at all. If you can build yourself or get on offer I don't think there is much to match it for price either. It also got a good write up in Cycling Weekly Magazine.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've ridden two RTs,a RT57(friends) and RT58(mine) and found both a bit harsh.My old £300 Alloy Boardman was a much better ride than either of them!
    It only became apparent just how harsh a ride they were when I bought my Canyon CF SL.Like night and day.
    I'm sure there are "better" bikes out there for the same money
  • JackTar
    isotonik wrote:
    You can get a lot of good bikes for 1k, what has drawn you to the RT?
    The Planet X offer with Sram Force and 30mm deep wheels for under a grand is what's attracted me. Amazing componentry for the price
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    I've ridden two RTs,a RT57(friends) and RT58(mine) and found both a bit harsh.My old £300 Alloy Boardman was a much better ride than either of them!
    It only became apparent just how harsh a ride they were when I bought my Canyon CF SL.Like night and day.

Those are pretty old frames. Totally different to the RT80 and RT90.
  • JackTar wrote:
    Hi, I've been looking at the Planet X RT-80. Can anyone who has it or know's someone with it give me their impressions? (Yes, I know it's a FM066 from China but that's not the point :wink: ) Thanks in advance for your help

I can only speak for the RT90 which is a lighter slightly different layup frame that the Viner uses also.

First impressions were it was quick and direct when accelerating with a stiff feel, but where it really comes into its own is climbing. That stiffness + light frame makes it zip up hills. Ride is comfortable and you can feel a cushioned flex vertically when bouncing over rough roads. Mine has a carbon seat post too which helps.
    It corners really well too and doesn't really feel twitchy. The paint job is great.

I can't really find a fault in mine the way it rides with is what you want. Only thing that does happen (which b down to the wheels and brakes distances) is I get rear brake rub when putting the hammer down or turning into a sharp corner seated. This goes if I widen the pads so think the Vision wheels flexes more that I was used to with my old bikes fulcrums.

The RT80 is supposed to be a 'softer' version of the Viner and RT90 frame set. Think it's slightly heavier too?
  • JackTar
    faarn wrote:
    I built the 105 RT-80 when on offer for about £700. I have done quite a few ride and am very pleased. I still use my SCR 3.0 which is about 2kg heavier and honestly I am not really quicker on the RT-80 but it is more comfortable. The RT-80 handles well (no flex and is stable on high speed descents 60-70kph), is comfortable and well manufactured. I haven't ridden other carbon bikes to compare but have no complaints at all. If you can build yourself or get on offer I don't think there is much to match it for price either. It also got a good write up in Cycling Weekly Magazine.

Thanks! Is the write up on the website?
  • JackTar
    JackTar wrote:

I can only speak for the RT90 which is a lighter slightly different layup frame that the Viner uses also.

First impressions were it was quick and direct when accelerating with a stiff feel, but where it really comes into its own is climbing. That stiffness + light frame makes it zip up hills. Ride is comfortable and you can feel a cushioned flex vertically when bouncing over rough roads. Mine has a carbon seat post too which helps.
    It corners really well too and doesn't really feel twitchy. The paint job is great.

I can't really find a fault in mine the way it rides with is what you want. Only thing that does happen (which b down to the wheels and brakes distances) is I get rear brake rub when putting the hammer down or turning into a sharp corner seated. This goes if I widen the pads so think the Vision wheels flexes more that I was used to with my old bikes fulcrums.

The RT80 is supposed to be a 'softer' version of the Viner and RT90 frame set. Think it's slightly heavier too?
    Cheers! Sounds like a great frame
  • sniper68
    ibbo68 wrote:

Made in the same Chinese factory that all Planet-X Carbon frames are :roll:
    There's a very good reason they can offer the spec for the money.The cheap component is the frame.
    You either love them or loath them I think.About a dozen or so of our Team have the Viner Mitus in Team livery and the consensus is they're good....for the money(and they got them VERY cheap).
    A mate has just bought the EC-130E Di2 and he paid around £1.5k for it.He's happy purely because of the price and anyone would be.
    I/we can get a very hefty discount at Planet-X but I just don't like the way their frames feel.
  • theraggyone
    theraggyone Posts: 147
    edited August 2016
    i have the Viner Mitus which is the same frame as the rt90 and i love it , brilliant bike for the money( got the frame for £500 and built myself ) .mine currently wieghs in at 7.1kg, over 4000 trouble free miles so far:-D

DSC_2540.jpg
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

As with virtually every other bike brand in the world. :roll:

Ask the question.. are pro frames really worth that money or is it because they can just charge whatever they want. Canyon sell Frameset at £2K yet a full bike for a couple if hundred extra. This is becuase they just can and slap a massive false price hike on them when they too are massed produced in China.

Having bought and sold from China myself you will be shocked at how cheap things really are made for and how much hike big names, and brands slap on products.

Planet X are a smaller brand and as with others their size they have a mix of licenced open mould and semi-in house developed products. Doesn't make them bad as long as the product is good and people and expert reviews like them then they are no different from any other brand.
  • sniper68
    ibbo68 wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

As with virtually every other bike brand in the world. :roll:

Ask the question.. are pro frames really worth that money or is it because they can just charge whatever they want. Canyon sell Frameset at £2K yet a full bike for a couple if hundred extra. This is becuase they just can and slap a massive false price hike on them when they too are massed produced in China.

Having bought and sold from China myself you will be shocked at how cheap things really are made for and how much hike big names, and brands slap on products.

Planet X are a smaller brand and as with others their size they have a mix of licenced open mould and semi-in house developed products. Doesn't make them bad as long as the product is good and people and expert reviews like them then they are no different from any other brand.

I agree,sort of.
    I didn't like how my RT felt so I rode a friends RT57 and that too felt harsh.
    I then tried a friends Canyon and despite it being a size too big felt better so I bought a Canyon Ultimate frame-set and transferred everything off my RT frame(except BB).The difference in ride quality was massive.So it was either the frame or the BB that made the difference :wink:
    So yes,many(most) Carbon frames are made in the Far East but some are just better quality than others.
    I've also ridden a couple of On One 456C MTBs(Planet-X sister company) and they too feel harsh a "buzzy" compared to other Carbon HTs I've ridden.
    I just don't get on with Planet-X or On One Carbon frames.I've ridden Steel On Ones without issues.
    I sold my RT frame-set to a mate at work who has a PX Pro Carbon.He prefers the ride of the Pro Carbon to the RT so the RT is his winter hack.Maybe it's just the RT models.
    I'll have to try and blag a ride on one of the Viners to see if they feel the same(to me).Had I not ordered the Canyon I would probably have bought the Mitus as the price they got them for was ridiculously low.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    The rt80/90 are hong-fus as previously mentioned. There is no reason to think that the previous planet X frames with an rt in their name are from the same factory. The way PX works is they send a man to the Chinese trade shows, he finds some stuff that he thinks will sell and they get them branded up in PX paintwork etc, ship them in and slap a markup on them. The consumer pays more but gets a UK based seller/warranty etc to fall back on if required. Its not a business model that gets most people excited but it is what it is and that doesn't necessarily make it a bad one.

Anyway... I bought an RT80 frame in a one day xmas sale, I was origionally going to get a hong-fu shipped direct but for some reason the PX on that day actually came out cheaper than buying from the factory.... I built it up with ultegra parts and some lightweight chinese wheels from farsports (bought direct £450) which I have been very impressed with.

Its turned out to be a brilliant bike, very stiff when putting the power down (no flex in the wheels either) but in no way harsh even on dodgy roads. I am running on some very supple tyres (vittoria open corsa) in a 25mm which prob helps with the comfort. I absolutely would recommend one at the £1000 mark that PX charges for a full build, its a lot of bike for the money and if you are fine with having a "bargain brand" bike then you will find that it is the equal of much higher priced branded offerings...

VKdvOWP.jpg
  • JackTar
    ravey1981 wrote:
    The rt80/90 are hong-fus as previously mentioned. There is no reason to think that the previous planet X frames with an rt in their name are from the same factory. The way PX works is they send a man to the Chinese trade shows, he finds some stuff that he thinks will sell and they get them branded up in PX paintwork etc, ship them in and slap a markup on them. The consumer pays more but gets a UK based seller/warranty etc to fall back on if required. Its not a business model that gets most people excited but it is what it is and that doesn't necessarily make it a bad one.

Anyway... I bought an RT80 frame in a one day xmas sale, I was origionally going to get a hong-fu shipped direct but for some reason the PX on that day actually came out cheaper than buying from the factory.... I built it up with ultegra parts and some lightweight chinese wheels from farsports (bought direct £450) which I have been very impressed with.

Its turned out to be a brilliant bike, very stiff when putting the power down (no flex in the wheels either) but in no way harsh even on dodgy roads. I am running on some very supple tyres (vittoria open corsa) in a 25mm which prob helps with the comfort. I absolutely would recommend one at the £1000 mark that PX charges for a full build, its a lot of bike for the money and if you are fine with having a "bargain brand" bike then you will find that it is the equal of much higher priced branded offerings...

VKdvOWP.jpg
    That is one great looking bike!