Help required

willmtb
willmtb Posts: 69
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Can someone explain the difference between tubeless and non tubeless and does it matter? Is one better than the other? I know tubeless costs a lot is it worth it? Basically what is it what are the benefits etc?
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In theory tubeless may be lighter, should be more puncture resistant, tyre pressures can be lower as no pinch flats, although too low and tyres can roll off the rims or burp, side walls feel a bit more flexible, so possibly grip is a bit higher.

Real world experience may differ.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Tubeless set up costs a duct tape, a pair of valves and tire selant, some fiddling and a compressor or a diy pressure can. not as much as you may think,
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm currently running non tubeless set up tubeless.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    A reglar tyre set-up has the outer that you can see, the tough bit with the knobbly bits, and a thin inner tube inside that holds the air.

A tubeless set-up doesn't have the inner tube. In this case the air goes directly into the tough outer bit you can see and this has a small amount of liquid sealant sloshing around inside which helps seal the tyre against the rim. Most of the time you also have to run a strip of special tape around the rim before you put the tyre on to seal up the spoke holes.

I found it incredibly difficult to set up tubeless the first time I tried but now that I've done it a few times it's pretty easy.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607