First Bike Questions

Zanthorg
Zanthorg Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi I've been looking around for a Mountain Bike. I have test rode Giant talon 4 LG(575usd) and Trek Marlin 7LG(700usd) at local Bike Shops. My Question is I'm Big guy 6"4 300LB Would these hold me on some basic small trails for exercise or would i need to replace parts or is there another bike around 600-700usd that would be better.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links to specs please as often the same model will have different specs in different countries...and your country is?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They'll be fine as long as you don't do anything too gnarly.
  • IanWhite
    IanWhite Posts: 85
    Hi Buddy

I'm also a big chap 144 kilo's that works out at about 317 pounds and 5 ft 12 , I'm on a Cube Race 29 , and it's fine OK I don't go jumping over thing's or flying downhill , but you should be OK

Ian :D:D
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am 6ft7 and about 220lbs. I have no problems with things breaking or wearing out. Most hardtails from good manufacturers are rated at about 300lbs.

As long as you keep the bike well maintained and don't try jumping or much rougher trails you will be fine. The bike will probably wear out faster but don't worry about it a chains, cassettes and brake pads are easily replaced.

To lose weight faster just mainly avoid all processed, junk and sugary food. Instead eat fresh fruit, vegetables and meat or fish. Starving yourself just leads to binge eating and poor fitness. It is very hard to over eat on fresh food but easy on addictive fast foods.