What is going on with my frame paint?

antoniorunn
antoniorunn Posts: 13
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi guys,
I am very worried about my carbon frame paint it is chipped in different parts.
What is the reason and what i can do?

2m696js.png

sewrba.png

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can't see any paint chips. Isn't that just cable rub?

Have you tried polishing it out?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yep looks like cable rub to me, or something else is rubbing that part of the fork/frame quite often.

Can you post a photo of the bike taken with the camera further back so we can see more of the bike and cables etc?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I have tried polishing, But nothing when you rub your finger on the paint gets worst!
    Is not cable rub it is all over the frame now i have noticed, even on the top tube!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Perhaps the paint is soft and so scratches every time you clean it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • repaint is the solution then?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Did you buy the marbled effect frame ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In that case have you been using anything abrasive to clean it?? Looks like lots of little scratches to me. Have you tried something like T-Cut?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    repaint is the solution then?

Ignoring it is the solution
    left the forum March 2023
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What frame is it ?
  • keef66 wrote:
    In that case have you been using anything abrasive to clean it?? Looks like lots of little scratches to me. Have you tried something like T-Cut?
    No I haven't I am just worried to make it worst
    Fenix wrote:
    What frame is it ?
    Merida CF 93 full carbon
  • I use a tiny bit of car soap to wash it as recommended, probably a bad one I used in the past ruined the frame...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Maybe it's my eyesight, but I actually can't see what the problem is.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    A mild solvent - eg GT85 - on a soft cloth should remove some of those marks. White paint is supposed to be more prone to tiny cracks due to its composition and need for thicker paint - although whether this is an urban myth I am unsure of.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    The image resolution is very low, so it's hard to judge- but those look like sanding marks, perhaps from an intermediary paint layer. Sometimes solvents used in cleaning can find their way into features like this, more noticeable on a white bike.

The crazing that occurs in epoxies and paints at high stress areas has a more regular appearance than this.
  • I've had similar on my white Beone Diablo. In my case it was due to the paint being fairly soft, so wiping off crap after a rainy ride (alot of sand on roads around here) resulted in fine scratches in the paint - so fine you couldn't see or feel them. However, if you got an oily rag anywhere near them, i.e. using the same rag to clean anywhere near the drive-train then the oilyness would get into these fine scratches leaving a faint grey scratch like mark. And it was a real sod to clean it out. I ended up having to attack it with my car polishes and Autoglym Super Resin Polish sorted it in the end, but it still took a couple of hours to do the whole frame ... on the plus side, it was shiny as hell afterwards.
  • I've had similar on my white Beone Diablo. In my case it was due to the paint being fairly soft, so wiping off crap after a rainy ride (alot of sand on roads around here) resulted in fine scratches in the paint - so fine you couldn't see or feel them. However, if you got an oily rag anywhere near them, i.e. using the same rag to clean anywhere near the drive-train then the oilyness would get into these fine scratches leaving a faint grey scratch like mark. And it was a real sod to clean it out. I ended up having to attack it with my car polishes and Autoglym Super Resin Polish sorted it in the end, but it still took a couple of hours to do the whole frame ... on the plus side, it was shiny as hell afterwards.

I Think this is the problem!
    I definitely can tell sandy road where I ride! and then when I cleaned my bike I scratched it!
    Is this Autoglym Super Resin Polish effective? would it be too aggressive on the frame?
    thank you
  • Super resin polish should be fine. Although I'd use auto finesse tough coat. It gives amazing protection
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I would go to a car body shop supplies place (somewhere like Brown Brothers) and get a fine compound. Compound is a paste with graded 'grit' in it, a bit like wet and dry paper which you rub in using a rag and polish off with another clean rag. It takes a very fine layer off the top coat. Go with fine and work it until your fine surface scratches have gone. Then clean it off and finish the job off by applying a sealer such as quoted above. The beauty of using compound is that it has a cutting agent in it so will take significantly less time and effort to cut the surface back to the depth of the fine scratches over a resin polish which is not for cutting, it is for polishing!

Take a look here for a suitable product http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/cutting-compounds-and-polishes.html

I have no connection with Polished Bliss but have bought items from them before and they are reliable.

PP

So after a long time, i have solved this issue!
    with the amazing Autoglym Super Resin I have give back my bike its shiny, looks like just come out the Bike Shop.
    This product in unbelievable, I will use it soon on my car :)
    Thank you for your replies guys
    CHEERS 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)