New saddle advice

manic_esso
manic_esso Posts: 92
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Just getting back on the bike after quite a few months off after a crash. The old saddle was trashed in the RTA so had a look around, read reviews etc, looked in a few shops but struggled to find one I liked and was similar to my old Selle (which came with my Wilier and was branded specifically) so I bought a new one online (Chain Reaction). Well it arrived and was considerably firmer than my old one despite being described as having extra padding. I'm now not sure whether to hold onto it or not.

Firstly is there a way to check it out on the turbo without actually putting any wear on it so I could return it (i.e. plastic bag over it for example) ?

Secondly, despite having been using both my road bikes (winter / wet) and summer for 7 years or so now I've never actually bought a new saddle so this is all a voyage of discovery. One guy in a shop suggested that the saddle padding wasn't as important as it may seem as it's the shorts that provide the majority of it - is that true ?

I appreciate that saddles are a very personal thing but any advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation would be welcome.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Padding isn't the issue regardless. Shape is the most important factor. Fitting a saddle will probably mark the rails, so not advisable if you intend to send it back.