Chain slipping and skipping

Boroboydan
Boroboydan Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there I have recently bought a mountain bike carera kraken from Halfords and the chain keeps skipping jamming coming of when changing gears . I been to halford they made slight adjustment to the gears but said there's nothing wrong when clearly is !! I phoned then up as problem still occurred and they said bring it down again I could be changing gears wrong ? I never new you could change them wrong I was just after advice on what it could be or what to say as I am new to all this thanks in advance Dan

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You certainly can 'change them wrong', however it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like its a setup issue.

You should always let off pedalling torque when shifting, especially at the front and you should avoiding 'cross chaining' where the chain makes a big angle by using an extreme gear at the front and the opposite extreme gear at the rear.

You could try parktool.com and look at indexing gears and learning to DIY, if you are doing proper off-roading frequent fettling may be needed and that gets expensive if you have to take it somewhere every time.

Please clarify what you mean by 'skipping' as it means different things to different people. Also the jamming.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The chain must jam on something and won't peddle no more unless I go backwards on the peddels also what I mean by skipping is that when I change down Or up it peddles but makes a clicking sound and doesn't move the wheels cheers bit of a bad explanation cheers
  • When I change gear and go to peddel the peddels slip down and I nearly come of the bike
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Are you referring to changing gear at the rear, the front or both?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • The front mate 1-3
  • drlodge
    If the pedals are slipping down and you're nearly coming off the bike when changing at the front, you're putting too much pressure on the chain rings when changing. As Rookie said, you should ease off the pressure while still pedalling when changing gear. Do not attempt to change gear when starting off or 'on full gas'.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I will be on 9th on rear and 3Rd on front and if I go down to second it does it not all the time but sometime and see if I go back up to 3RE
  • Cheers for advice guys I'll see how it goes tonight and get back to yous :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boroboydan wrote:
    I will be on 9th on rear and 3Rd on front and if I go down to second it does it not all the time but sometime and see if I go back up to 3RE
    In that situation you should be changing down at the rear first anyway! (assuming you are following convention and ninth on the rear is the smallest cog and 3rd on the front the biggest!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you stop pedalling when you change gear? That would be clunky and noisy.
  • No still peddel mate
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    (Hoping correcting cycling specific spelling isn't frowned upon - it's "pedal")
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Nope it is peddel.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    :D:D:D:D
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • drlodge
    Please stop pedalling the myth that pedal is peddel. You peddeller.
    Find me on Strava