New to the road - a bazillion questions

figbat
figbat Posts: 680
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
After years on an MTB I have finally decided to give the road a go. I'll still do the MTB but wanted to try out road riding and open up my options. So, last week I became the owner of 2011 Cannondale Synapse. Not sure on all the components, but it has 105 mechs, Ultegra levers/shifters, Tektro brakes and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. Aside from a few marks and scratches the frame is in great nick and everything works well. However, I now have a whole new load of stuff to learn! I'll put questions in separate threads (after searching the forums first, of course!).

Anyway, the thing that sort of tipped my over was that we have a thing at work in September - a road sportive thing in aid of ParalympicsGB and I wanted to do it 'properly' (rather than on my MTB with slick tyres). A well-known Olympic cyclist will be joining us too, so, y'know, you have to look the part.

So, that's me.
Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere

Comments

• vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Without you asking the question, I will just say it. Get rid of the Tektro brakes and grab Ultegra to match the shifters.
  • figbat
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Without you asking the question, I will just say it. Get rid of the Tektro brakes and grab Ultegra to match the shifters.

Yeah - that was the obvious one. Someone I know is selling some 105 calipers which I have asked about. I am used to hydraulic discs on the MTB and these calipers are definitely less inspiring.
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    105 calipers are pretty good but I'd be tempted to get the ones to match your levers, road bikes are funny with lever pull etc.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    105 calipers are pretty good but I'd be tempted to get the ones to match your levers, road bikes are funny with lever pull etc.
    This. You might have compatibility issues.
  • figbat
    Thanks guys - so compatibility is a thing. I'd better find out precisely which variants I have on-board before spending any money! Cheers.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    figbat wrote:
    Thanks guys - so compatibility is a thing. I'd better find out precisely which variants I have on-board before spending any money! Cheers.

With respect to levers and brake calipers compatibility is only really a thing if you read the Shimano compatibility charts. They will all work, but some a bit better than others. The 105 5800 calipers are good though.

If you start mixing shifters and mechs it does get a bit more involved since Shimano changed the cable pull on their newer stuff...
  • figbat
    Well this bike is second-hand so it seems it has already been messed around given the mix of components already on it. It all works though (well, I did a 10 mile test ride and got every gear I expected to get and didn't crash into anything).

I'll get a notepad out and get precise model numbers for everything on it though.
  • As said get rid of the Tektro calipers and replace them with Ultegra, and you'll notice the difference!

Only other thing to say is that for a second hand bike I'd be tempted to replace the chain and cassette just so I know their wear history.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    figbat wrote:
    vpnikolov wrote:

Yeah - that was the obvious one. Someone I know is selling some 105 calipers which I have asked about. I am used to hydraulic discs on the MTB and these calipers are definitely less inspiring.

Any rim brakes will be after hydraulic disc brakes, so don't dismiss the Tektro on that basis - you might upgrade to 105 or Ultegra and find these aren't what you are used to as well.

Saying that - on bikes I have had Tektro I have gone for Shimano and noticed a difference, but you might want to give them a good try out first. I would say firstly make sure you have good pads on the calipers, and that they are held in place with pad 'holders' like so: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essent ... ts-4-pack/ then you can remove and insert the pads when worn out. These pads have been recommended by those of this parish in the past: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... rake-pads/
  • vpnikolov wrote:

I second that, or even 105 brakes would be a huge improvement.

But don't worry about compatibility, all Shimano stuff works just as well with everything else. Ive got Ultegra shifters with 105 callipers, I've had Sora shifters with 105 callipers, Ive had Dura Ace shifters with Ultegra callipers. They all work. But with everything about the bike, just make sure you spend time getting component set up properly and save yourself a load of time and hassle.
  • figbat
    So, as is customary on forums I have asked for advice and then ignored it :mrgreen:. Well, some of it. I appreciate the input though, so thanks for that.

I have bought the brakes from the guy - these are almost new, largely unmarked with pads you might describe as "nicely run-in". Obviously I realise they'll need to 'run-in' again on my rims, but m'point is that they are a decent set from a trusted source. They are 105 5700s, which Shimano say are fully compatible with my Ultegra 6600 levers (they don't claim any compatibility with the Tektro calipers, and they worked, right?).

Plus, they match the 105 5700 derailleurs I have already on there, so it all looks better, which is important too. :wink:

Other than that I have sourced some innertubes, a small pump and a bottle tool carrier thing (I wanted to avoid having an overstuffed saddle bag and hate having big things rammed in my jersey pockets). My MTB has donated its double-sided SPDs and gets a new set of single-sided ones. I think I might be ready to get out there. I hope so, because I plan to ride it home from work tomorrow - around 18 miles or so (depending on which way I go).
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    105 5800 brakes are considerably better than the 5700s -as Keef has already stated. Still, you've made your purchase now.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • figbat
    What I've done is dive in impulsively without proper research, which is not like me usually. Brakes are brakes, right? Well, as you know, wrong. It turns out the probable reason that there were Tektro R538 brakes on it is because they are something I now know is called 'long drop'. It turns out that 105 brakes are not 'long drop'. Consequently the pads did not quite reach the rims.

Anybody want some lightly used 105 5700s in grey?!

I've obviously put the Tektros back on and adjusted them to my liking and they appear to stop the bike so I'll focus on other stuff first, like servicing the BB30 (another thread open on that one).
  • I have TRP-RG957 long-drop bikes on mine, which I'm happy with. But pad choice is probably more important.

Oh, and tyre choice. I'm not at all keen on the Mavic Yksions that arrive on the retail Kyserium Elites.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    I might be in the market for the 105 brakes. Have the same Synapse as my winter bike with the same Tektro brakes....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ascot17 wrote:
    I might be in the market for the 105 brakes. Have the same Synapse as my winter bike with the same Tektro brakes....
    But the synapse needs long drop callipers which is why the op is selling them again!
  • figbat
    keef66 wrote:
    Ascot17 wrote:
    But the synapse needs long drop callipers which is why the op is selling them again!

Precisely. Also I may have a taker for them already, but thanks for the interest.