First bike advice

badlydrawndom
badlydrawndom Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi just about to buy my first road bike. Friends have kind of given me a shortlist -

Ribble Evo Pro Carbon £599 ; Cube Peloton Pro Road £499 from Certini or Cannondale CAAD8 Sora & 2016 for £549 from Evans - I am leaning towards the Ribble but the largest frame is 56cm - I'm just over 6 foot tall - would welcome sang thoughts or advice.

Comments

• jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Buy the one that fits! Nothing worse than riding a bike that's the wrong size.

You can order a bike into your local Evans store with a £50 refundable deposit. I'd do that for the Cannondale and see how it feels. Plus the cannondale is probably the one I'd buy anyway because I don't know anything about the others.

But, if it doesn't fit your body it aint gonna be fun to ride. Make sure you can get comfy on it first! (obviously it might feel a bit stretched out to begin with if it's your first road bike, but try and get a 90 degree angle between your back and you arms when on the hoods. Usually the handlebars will obscure the front hub when you look down too. Not sure about trying the others but maybe you can?
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    the cannondales are very common if that does'nt bother you.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Hi just about to buy my first road bike. Friends have kind of given me a shortlist -

Ribble Evo Pro Carbon £599 ; Cube Peloton Pro Road £499 from Certini or Cannondale CAAD8 Sora & 2016 for £549 from Evans - I am leaning towards the Ribble but the largest frame is 56cm - I'm just over 6 foot tall - would welcome sang thoughts or advice.

Unless you have freakish proportions (long body/short legs or vice versa) the Ribble will fit you. You may need to swap stems to get the reach spot on but otherwise you'll be fine IMO.

I'd suggest choosing 172.5mm cranks btw - unless you have previous experience to suggest otherwise :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • supers
    supers Posts: 33
    Sit on the bike. I bought a bike from Decathlon, first Road bike then sat on a CAAD8, similar size at the weekend and the difference in fit is staggering. There are so many nuances that affect the fit.

BTW, if you go down the CAAD8 route, Rutland Cycling have some great offers, I bought my 105 for £699, Sora is £499.