tiara 9 speed - 105 10/11 speed

billylale
billylale Posts: 21
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I am thinking about upgrading my groups to 105 on my Allez Elite, my last service highlighted a few things that could start to go wrong soon (gears slipping, chain not to bad but will need changing after a bit more stretching, brake pads getting there) and now i have a possible need to buy a new chain set.
thinking of upgrading to a 10 speed gearing, how easy/hard is it to swap out all the components and how expensive will it be ( i have no tools other than allen keys). how much would my LBS charge (typically £30/hour labour charge).

alos, is it WORTH me upgrading, happy with my 08 allez elite frame but also not totally against possible new bike.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your 9 speed Tiagra is still working, then just replace the chain and fit some new brake blocks when needed.

If you went to 11 speed 105 you'd need shifters, chain, cassette, and possibly a new rear wheel if yours isn't 11 speed compatible. Excluding the wheel, about £250 for the parts? A complete groupset would cost you about £300, which would then give you the excellent 5800 brake calipers too. These assume you fit it yourself. I'd guess a decent bike shop would take about an hour to swap a groupset? £50-70 labour?