Expensive pedals - Does it really worth it?

chautcy
chautcy Posts: 8
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
After munching quite a bit of miles on my alloy-sora-equipped bike, I am getting my second bike in a week or so.
I can transfer my current PD-R540 onto my new bike, or purchase a new pair of pedals (probably will be 105) at a bargain price with my bike.
Does it really worth paying double the price of my current pedals? Does it really feel different, or is it just a bling?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    They will probably be lighter, so decent weight saving for little money. Action may well be nicer (nicer bearings and springs) and yes, add a bit of bling as well.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    There's no real functional difference, just bling and weight.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    New pedals are never going to make you any faster, but if you can get a set of R550s or 105s for a bargain price with a new bike, I'd do it. Reason being both of these have metal wear plates rather than the plastic plates on the R540s, so last much longer. You'll also get a new set of cleats which don't last forever and are £10-15 on their own.
    R550 are also much lighter than R540s and look the business - don't see any reason to spend more.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    R540 are a bit heavy(ier) and less blingy as said. Very little reason to go beyond R550 or 105.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd not worry too much about your pedals. Bling only works if you can see it as you're riding.
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    Obviously bling makes you faster due to the result of a lighter wallet.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I've just bought a new pair of 105 pedals for a new bike.

£24 from Ribble including a £14 pair of cleats.

Go on break the bank and spend the tenner!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Does?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.