Time Trial Bike

snappygear
snappygear Posts: 212
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking to have a bash at TT's.... best value TT bike, full carbon preferred...

Any other watch outs?

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X Exocet for full carbon.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Best value is planet x stealth. I have one. Same frame was used in the tour 10 years ago.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Stick some clip ons on your road bike and you'll be most of the way there for a fraction of the price!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Best value is planet x stealth. I have one. Same frame was used in the tour 10 years ago.

Isn't that the same as the Exocet? Or am I getting muddled due to Steven Seagull film messing with my head?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The Stealth was an earlier Planet X frame. They're on the Evo3 at the moment as their latest frame.

Best option is secondhand - time trial forum is a really good place to look. TT bikes never get that much use and fairly regularly upgraded as we're all looking for extra few seconds and there's a tendency to throw money at the problem. I've had my current one two seasons and I'd be surprised if it's done 5-600km given most of my training is on the turbo.

Other option if you want new is the Dolan Scala - they're doing some good deals on those fully built at the mo. It's what I ride and other than the brakes have no complaints.
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    dolan do a carbon frame but never rode it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Stealth is fine. Mine was less than a grand and you can pick them up second hand for a lot less.

As Jrich says - most of the benefit could be got with tri bars alone.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Built up a second hand Exocet 2 as a training bike for £500. Good frames for the money.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    f_0_evans_cycling_a_3201.jpg

I had a Google - it was 2007 when Cadel Evans used the Stealth Frame (Ridley badged) in the TDF! I'm getting old to remember that.

The list price seems a little lhigh right now - keep an eye out for the sales or buy second hand as mentioned above. Lots about.