Specialized Allez Elite 08 upgrades

billylale
billylale Posts: 21
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
i have my Allez Elite from 2008 which i still ride, more than happy with the frame, but sooner rather than later, the cassette will need updating, new chain etc, also i just had my left crank arm fall off during a ride. I think something has snapped off (whatever stops the crank arm arm not sliding off the axel). il be taking it into the bike shop on Monday but thought i would ask here first. what would it have been that snapped off, looks like it could have been c=some sort of black plastic cap?? secondly, what is the fix for this and price? would it be worth getting it fixed and getting new tiagra parts or i have seen that shimano do the 105 5800 set for about £290 now, should i be worthwhile upgrading to this and moving to 10 speed rather than the 9 i have at the moment.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The black plastic cap screws into the end of the axle. It is designed to tighten the arms together on installation and preload them onto the bearings but not to hold the arms on completely. It is not the sole thing that stops the crank arm falling off. That is done by two 5mm hex bolts.

By the nature of its design the plastic cap does have a secondary function and helps stop the arm coming off if the bolts are loose but as evidently so it is not 100% safety proof.

If the crank spindle or splines are not damaged, then the black plastic cap can be repaced very cheaply.

If they are damaged, then you'll need a new crankset. As any damage could cause the crank arm to come off again.

If your groupset is fairly old and worn then a new groupset could be worthwhile.

105 5800 is 11speed and will require an 11speed compatible rear wheel.

The new Tiagra 4700 is still 10 speed and will fit any 9/10spd wheel. 4700 has most of the trickle down features from 5800 like new hoods/levers, long arm front derailleur and hidden cables.
  • billylale
    billylale Posts: 21
    ideal, many thanks for your help!! il see what the LBS says