Fat Commuter

flashgorman
flashgorman Posts: 48
edited August 2016 in Commuting chat
Noticed some noise about fat bikes on the bargains thread and have decided to hold up my hand as fat bike commuter to see if there any many more out there.

I find it comfy, bouncy and slower but not that much slower. Probably 15 minutes slower on a 18 mile trip but at least 37 minutes more funner.

I do around half the trip on bridleways and enjoy the monster truck drive over anything ability.

Downside is I get quite a lot of aggressive comments from 'knowledgeable' cyclists who seem to object to me riding a vehicle that has a few design concessions that sacrifice its travelling efficiency. Or to put it another way that shout 'Whats with the stupid Fackin tyres'.

I am considering getting some cards printed that say something like 'Hi. I see you have noticed I am riding a fat bike. yes the tyres are big. No the bike is not light. No it is not snowing ,etc,etc.'

So is it just me or anyone else rolling fat one to work?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Run the over. I never really understand this. You choose a bike to get to work. You don't choose a car. Everyone should love other cyclists but they don't.

I don't commute on a fat bike but it's on my list of N+1. They've opened a hire shop near me so will be taking one dune blasting soon
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    I've done far less cycle commutes since March than I hoped, but when I do, I'm on my Wazoo. The default Vee Mission Commands are nothing short of awful on tarmac compared to 26x4.0 Schwalbe Jumbo Jim's, so much rolling resistance, enough to make me use an easier gear. But the JJs fly, very close to if not my best ever time travelling to work, but in fairness I have to go through numerous traffic lights where all reds could cost me ~10 minutes.

I finally fitted my Fat Not Fat 29er wheelset earlier this week after my RDS to FDS rotor adapter arrived, it has dropped the Wazoo down to ~10Kg, but I miss the cushioning of the big JJs at ~28/30 Psi... They make Southampton's awful roads a joy to ride!

So many cyclists put fat bikes down before they have ridden them with a quality set of non-oem tyres, try one for a couple of hours and reserve judgement until then.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Want one!! I've only ever seen two on my commute, give me a smile every time !
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'd like to try one, but for a commuter I'd need a rack and mudguards. Not sure they're suitable for that stuff.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    No, but it's 1st on my n+1 list to replace an aging XC hard tail.
    Primarily as a winter bike, but also to allow a lot more fun during the muddy seasons through local off road routes.

Hadn't realised NO was another south coaster.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Agent57 wrote:
    I'd like to try one, but for a commuter I'd need a rack and mudguards. Not sure they're suitable for that stuff.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAJOAPR/jo ... nnier-rack could be fitted to the Voodoo Wazoo, I believe it has proper pannier rack mounts.

Mudguards-wise I use SKS Fatboards https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/fatboard-set/ (velcro downtube and fancy quick-clip seatpost) but there are plenty of other options (including front guard that fits to base of fork steerer). I semi-impulse bought the Fatboards without doing much research, wish I had looked around more to see if there were like a giant version of the SKS Beavertails for the rear, for more bike protection from the crud kicked up with the water.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    Im going to get a Wazoo and use it for next year's Ride London!
  • I commute on my wazoo 90% on road, only about 5.5 miles each way. 24 minutes this morning, which is pretty typical. Still running the original tyres, I can't see it making any significant difference and besides, for me its about making a short commute a workout.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I flew past one today ... I must have been doing 22mph, the fat bike cant of been doing much more than 12mph and struggling at that ..... and the road noise, I could actually hear the rumble of his tires on the road ... the bike looked to be honest quite frankly ridiculous

BUT !!!!!

I still really wanted a go, I need a fat bike in my life and if I had one I would commute on it at least once a week :D

fat bikes just look fun .... balls to speed and time, sometimes having fun is riding through hazards, not around them :D
  • fat daddy wrote:
    I flew past one today ... I must have been doing 22mph, the fat bike cant of been doing much more than 12mph and struggling at that ..... and the road noise, I could actually hear the rumble of his tires on the road ... the bike looked to be honest quite frankly ridiculous

BUT !!!!!

I still really wanted a go, I need a fat bike in my life and if I had one I would commute on it at least once a week :D

fat bikes just look fun .... balls to speed and time, sometimes having fun is riding through hazards, not around them :D

Not in the region of Greystoke Avenue perchance?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    if you are talking Greystoke Ave, BS10 ... then yes. Not totally sure of my route as I took an extended trip to work to get the mileage up but left my watch in Pause, so I have so Strava input today .. GRRRRRR

but yes, I did play that side of the Southmead RD before heading into town

Was it you ????? .. Epic bike if so, especially with the state of Bristol roads
  • fat daddy wrote:
    if you are talking Greystoke Ave, BS10 ... then yes. Not totally sure of my route as I took an extended trip to work to get the mileage up but left my watch in Pause, so I have so Strava input today .. GRRRRRR

but yes, I did play that side of the Southmead RD before heading into town

Was it you ????? .. Epic bike if so, especially with the state of Bristol roads

Yeah probably me. If it was you you came past me at the traffic lights on Canford Lane, into wot village, I took the shorter route, passing you on the hill up to greystoke avenue then I turned off on Doncaster Road where you went straight on towards aldi etc.
  • I don't have the time, money or room for any more bikes, but I reckon if I did then a fat bike might fit the bill.

I reckon they'd be a dream on the South Downs.
  • Saw someone else today on a Wazoo in Southampton commuting on the road, I had to fight the strong urge to shout something about swapping those awful Mission Command tyres! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I've just been browsing the Halfords website and now I wish I hadn't.

Now I want a Wazoo!

On a side note what size inner tube does it take?
    Tyre is 26X4 so I am assuming the inner tube is not too far off that.

Halfords don't stock them it seems.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited August 2016
    Default tubes are ~26x4 and weight ~450g, sv13f is officially 2.1-3 but works at just ~185g, or play it safe with sv13j 4-4.8 @ ~390g.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    When I read the title I thought you were talking about me :oops:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Default tubes are ~26x4 and weight ~450g, sv13f is officially 2.1-3 but works at just ~185g, or play it safe with sv13j 4-4.8 @ ~390g.
    Many Thanks.
  • Ok, so it seems there aren't that many fatties out there but plenty of fat curious.

To be sure you would struggle with one as an only bike but am i planning to simmer my bike collection down to two bikes and one will be the fat bike for sure. It's just a laugh to ride and takes you right back to when you first started riding a bike (that is to say from a pure joy of riding thing not that your dad has to run behind holding the seat).

As a shorty mine is actually a 24 inch wheel fatty as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EygF8Cu4hj4 from planet x. They also do fat bikes for big folk which are well regarded and can be a bargain if you catch the planet x daily price dip/rise at the right point. Planet x also do the tubes which can double up as a life preserver. In fact the complete wheel will float and i am waiting for the day when I heroically save a drowning person by firing up the quick release and lobbing them a wheel.

Mudguards are available in various comically named formats and people have successfully grafted motorcycle guards on. There's plenty of info at http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/