freewheel problem

pylwagl
pylwagl Posts: 35
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I recently noticed that the freewheel on my Allez is sticking. The wheels are from a Tarmac with an Axis 3.0 hub. I have stripped and cleaned the hub - bearings are fine, freehub re-greased and apparently working correctly; however this has not solved the issue. If the wheel is placed loosely in the frame the freewheel operates fine, but the tighter the skewer, the stiffer the freewheel becomes. there are no bits missing or mis-placed and the tension on the (sealed) bearings is ok.
I stumped, any ideas?
TIA
Pylwagl

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've read similar descriptions when one of the bearings isn't quite fully pressed home or a component is reinstalled back to front so that when the QR is tightened the bearings are overloaded and start binding.

Can't help beyond that; all my personal experience is of Shimano cup and cone bearings / hubs / freehubs...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I had a similar issue, but it was on a new wheel/hub. If yours has appeared with no changes to the components then I doubt its the same issue. Mine was caused by the drop out rubbing on the cassette lock ring, due to the wrong spacer being installed on the axle (it was a spacer for Shimano freehub instead of Campag).

Can you tell where something is rubbing? If you can take the lock ring and cassette off, do so, reinstall the wheel then check if its still binding.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava