Are my hairline cracked or broken carbon fibre handlebars broken or useable? Can they be easily repa

ponyopo
ponyopo Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Workshop
They came with a bike second hand. I didn't notice it till I took the bar tape off. I haven't ridden them.
It looks as though the broken and cracked areas may just be fairings that wouldn't affect structural strength but I don't know for sure. I have seen carbon bars that don't have this bit.
Can anyone shed any light on this? Can I do a strength test at home?

crYh66.jpg
sWFf1K.jpg
cID1Ji.jpg
Bl3zeg.jpg
XTJoU1.jpg
K9TGHI.jpg
2sJHbA.jpg
YpWv6s.jpg
JF62Df.jpg

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would buy some new alloy bars, spare a thought for your teeth :shock:
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I was OK with the first few, as they seemed to show an insert that was fixed over the hollowed out section.
    The last three however............that line goes way beyond the above mentioned hollow.
    And as DD suggests, I like what's left of my teeth :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    For peace of mind I'd just get some alloy bars.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It does look like it is "just" on the tunnel creating bar rather than the carbon bars itself.
    the bars will flex (alloy ones too) - and paint over a joint of flexing materials will crack.

The bars can be repaired - but to get it professionally done is probably prohibitively expensive - unless the bars were particularly special ...
    TBH, I'd put a cheap alloy pair on for now - then start stripping the coating back on the carbon bars and see where the cracks actually go - my gut instinct is that they are purely cosmetic - but only you know if you're willing to take that risk.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Here you go:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-rhm01-blac ... handlebar/

Other retailers are also available.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    The bars are fine, yes the cover adhesive/bonding material has cracked but this is fitted after the bars are made and just glued on, when the cables go through and with constant turning of the steering the cables sometimes pull at the channel and cause the cover bonding material to separate from the main structure. Nothing to be concerned about. Actually better/easier to carefully remove the cover with a sharp blade as they are a pain in the butt when it comes to replacing cables
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Agree - from the piccies that looks like a bonded on carbon cover - use away.

As an aside, why someone above says replace with Ali and not just replace is a tad mystifying - carbon bars are just as safe as ali.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Agree - from the piccies that looks like a bonded on carbon cover - use away.

As an aside, why someone above says replace with Ali and not just replace is a tad mystifying - carbon bars are just as safe as ali.

V true, but no way would i use a set of second hand bars, with zero history that looked like these, F that, bars breaking on a down hill run, at speed, be more than your teeth :shock:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Alu is as light and so much cheaper. Carbon is fine in its place but not for bars. Any time a bike falls over the bars take a hit.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Those are fine just cosmetic also additional and pointless extra weight
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Those are fine just cosmetic also additional and pointless extra weight
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I suggest you put them on your bike as they are and act like a gorilla and try to break them. If you cant they are OK.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    Alu is as light and so much cheaper. Carbon is fine in its place but not for bars. Any time a bike falls over the bars take a hit.

So the (literally) millions of people using carbon bars shouldn't be?

Blimey - someone better get the message out.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't see the benefit of carbon there tbh.
    Millions of people smoke too. People don't always make the right choices. ;-)
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    I don't see the benefit of carbon there tbh.
    Millions of people smoke too. People don't always make the right choices. ;-)

Millions also voted for UKIP/Brexit. I see exactly where you are coming from...

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I had carbon 3T Aeronova bars. Had a nasty crash last week, hit a traffic island and flew over the handlebars. Bars snapped at the shifter; I'm in 2 minds whether they actually acted as a crumble zone as I think I also landed on them (I've got a shifter-shaped bruise on my chest).

Not sure how the accident would have played out with alu bars. Anyhow, I can't justify replacing like for like, so alu bars are going back on. I admit the carbon bars were cosmetic.