New chain installation problem

alexul
alexul Posts: 69
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,
My 11 speed Shimano 105 chain reached over 0.5 stretch so I said to change it with a similar one. It is my first time doing it and everything went well almost to the end. Pushed the pin through and before cutting it I realized that the outer plates is leading the inner one. The direction is good (the writings on the outside) but Shimano says that it should be vice versa for extra security. Since I didn't cut the pin yet I was thinking that maybe I can push it back out, reverse the chain and push it back in. I know that you can not reuse the pins but that's a when you insert a pin from outside and push it all the way through the other side. I want to pull it back out and then insert it again. Do you think it is safe?
And if not do I have another alternative besides buying a new chain? I still have 10 links from this chain

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Use a quick link type thing. Example

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram ... lsrc=aw.ds

Although I'm not sure I entirely understand the problem...
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    How far have you pushed it in? And when you say you haven't cut the pin are you using one of the special rivets with the bullet tip that you break off? If so you will be struggling trying to push that back through.
  • alexul
    Yes I'm using one of those pointed rivets. It's fully in.
    So my other options are either to look for a compatible 11 spd quick link or find 2 new rivets and take one of the spare chain links. From my experience with the LBS they never stock small cheap products, probably their answer will be to buy a whole new chain. I will try my luck though
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just snap the extra off and run it like that - it will be fine :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Garry H
    You can order a quick link off the internet thing.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Don't remove the pin and install a new one. The chain plates get slightly deformed when using a connecting pin, so reinstalling a new one in the same place doesn't work well!
    The way you have your chain now is not recommended as it is slightly weaker but personally I'd use it as you have it. If not your bike shop will almost certainly stock a quick link as mentioned above.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    this is why i use quick links instead of shimano pins
  • alexul
    Thanks for the answers. Passed on my way to work to the bike shop (without much hope) and, miracle, the only chain link they stock is the one Garry H posted. It does say, use only with SRAm 11 spd chains but seems to be a marketing trick, on googling I found lots of people using it in Shimano chains w/o any problems. I'll take the opportunity to put the chain correctly and install this link. I think I'll buy a second one just for back up.
  • Garry H
    I use them on Shimon chains. They are fine
  • alexul
    Good news. After work I went and installed that link. Really easy to do it. Then I went for a 1h test ride, including some out of saddle climbing in a ridiculous high gear. I never do it but I want it to stress it a little bit, if it breaks at least be it around the town not 50 km away. It didn't so everything must be correctly in place. In the first 10-15 km there was like a different sounds on the rear, from the sprockets. I guess it takes some time for the new chain to settle well in a used cassette. It wasn't an annoying sound, just different from the one of the previous chain.
  • Garry H
    Sounds like time for that new cassette
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    These pliers will also come in hardy when you need to remove and refit chain. These open and close the quick link.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Bike- ... SwRgJXjiJc