Rollers with Mag Resistance

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Are they worth the extra over a set of Antares?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I asked the same question a couple of years ago when i was trying to settle on some rollers. Ended up buying the standard (non resistant) Elite parabolic and never regretted it. You can have a great work out just by using the gears on the bike and i have never felt the need for added resistance (if i do in the future then i imagine lowering the tyre pressure would suffice).
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    I use my arion mags on the middle resistance (1) setting with trainer road I think it would far too easy with no resistance. I'm not a big sprinter type by any means but most of the workout is spent in the big ring and around the middle of the cassette so I'd quickly run out of gears in the 0 setting - I suspect you'd top out somewhere around 400ish watts, maybe even less
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Thanks.

I tried using the antares with Trainer Road today. I topped out in my highest gear at 200W so will look at the Elites with mag resistance I think for winter.

Ytchi are they easy enough to use when making an effort?
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    Yeah, they're fine. You can't stand up obviously but I can pretty much belt it flat out staying seated whilst still managing to stay in control. If you want to just do big sprint efforts then a turbo trainer is probably better but for general sessions (I use sufferfest videos) I find the rollers much more engaging to use. A power meter is also a worthwhile investment although not essential as you can use virtual power in trainerroad.