n+1: carbon in sales?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I have a Condor Fratello that I love. It is a steel frame, w/disc brakes.

But I have been bitten by the bug and am sorely tempted to try and buy something completely different in the forthcoming sales, but only for a bike that will be sufficiently different from the Fratello. To me that means, more aggressive, lighter, more of a speed machine.

So, I've been looking at carbon and wondering particularly about Planet X's Pro Carbon or BMC Teammachine SLR02. The former is a fair bit cheaper, I'm reckoning Evans might continue to bring prices down on the latter. I'd really rather not spend more than £1,500.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/thoughts on scratching the itch?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Can't you go for a test ride ? I have light carbon bikes and heavy Alu winter bikes. They're both good but I only notice how light the CF one is for the first 20 mins of the first summer ride. After that I've forgotten what the winter bike was like.

Obviously you need at least 2 bike though... I'm sure the PX would be fine.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I have a Condor Fratello that I love. It is a steel frame, w/disc brakes.

But I have been bitten by the bug and am sorely tempted to try and buy something completely different in the forthcoming sales, but only for a bike that will be sufficiently different from the Fratello. To me that means, more aggressive, lighter, more of a speed machine.

So, I've been looking at carbon and wondering particularly about Planet X's Pro Carbon or BMC Teammachine SLR02. The former is a fair bit cheaper, I'm reckoning Evans might continue to bring prices down on the latter. I'd really rather not spend more than £1,500.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/thoughts on scratching the itch?

I bagged a Pro Carbon frameset in the New Year sales for £160. Built it up with 105 5800 and added a nice set of handbuilt wheels (Archetype rims/Miche Primato hubs) from Malcolm at Cycleclinic

26753058545_31fb67ca7c_z.jpg

Total cost with all the other kit came to about £850

After my previous bikes (alloy PX London Road/ steel Genesis Equilibrium disc) the Pro Carbon feels more responsive and quicker. It also scores points in my mind for having a standard BSA threaded bottom bracket ( just search for all the complaints about creaking press fit BB's). The external cabling may be viewed as a bit old school these days but I prefer it for ease of access for maintenance etc. For my type of riding the extra aero benefit of internal cabling is an extravagance I can live without.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    +1 for the Pro Carbon mine is a joy to own, the internal cabling on my Canyon offers no aero benefit at all IME. A big plus for the Pro Carbon Is the external cabling and the BSA bb, they will be far easier to service when required.