Norwich man fined £220 for running a red.

5milestogo
5milestogo Posts: 224
edited August 2016 in Commuting chat
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/cycli ... _1_4634487

Have you been caught?

What did it cost you, when and where?
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    £400 in total :o
    Including a "victim surcharge"

I've seen drink driving get lower fines than that (okay, they also get a ban, but £400????)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've no problem with people getting fined for running red lights - if it doesn't matter what vehicle they are in. If they instigate this on the motorway roundabout near me they'll have no bother funding that 350M for the NHS.....

I note the reporter didnt spot any cars running red lights. Remarkably well behaved motorists there.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Indeed... Beckenham Junction lights would make about £5000 per hour during peak times by my rough and conservative calculation. All from cars I might add. Never saw a cyclist jump them.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I almost got caught twice by the same cops in the same day! First time was a 50quid fine - reduced to a third if I did the online course. Second time was on the way I had crossed different set of lights in the lee of a white van when I saw the same two cycle cops waiting on the other side of the lights - so I stayed on the other side of the van and made sure they couldn't spot me.

The online course - much of which was showing views from construction lorries and how you can easily disappear from even a highly attentive and observant driver - was incredibly impressive and I have not knowingly jumped a red light since.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    clearly he wasn't cycling hard enough ..... not to evade the police, but he should be putting in enough effort that a red light becomes a blessing and an opportunity to stop and lay on your handle bars gasping for breath !
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    fat daddy wrote:
    clearly he wasn't cycling hard enough ..... not to evade the police, but he should be putting in enough effort that a red light becomes a blessing and an opportunity to stop and lay on your handle bars gasping for breath !

But no! To "lay on your handle bars gasping for breath" is against the very soul of SCR - here is a post from the beginnings of the super thread :lol:

Greg T wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    but the key is that you should show no outward signs of putting any effort in. This is the same as admitting you're racing.

This is true.

No outward sign should be given that you are hanging out and juiced.

At the next lights a small mothfull of water is allowed but the shoulders must be flat level and not heaving. I think I've done this so often that I can now breathe through my skin.

Must not show weakness control breath ing
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    There's more to this one than meets the eye. So I'll write a piece on it (and other things).

It's a FPN so he must have contested it. But in a week when you get fined £80 for making somebody quadriplegic with a tractor you know that comparative law is messed up.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    5milestogo wrote:
    Good. Tired of RLJTs (red light jumping tw@ts) giving the rest of us a bad name.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:
    Good. Tired of RLJTs (red light jumping tw@ts) giving the rest of us a bad name.

This ^^
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:

This ^^

Me too^^

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Totally, if no-one jumped red lights we'd all get the respect we deserve.
    In fact those people who lean out of their car windows and shout 'get a car' would go out and buy bikes!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    It's a FPN so he must have contested it.
    If I jumped a red light and got caught I'd just pay up (promptly for the discount too).
    I wonder why he thought it was worth contesting in court.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Fines are means related, that level of fine suggests someone earning circa £600 a week after TAX/NI

Everyone convicted of a criminal offence pays the surcharge (often incorrectly called the victim surcharge.

Its at the discretion of the Police to offer an FPN or not, for cases where the RLJ is more than 2-3 seconds after the light goes red they are usually not offered so most cycling RLJers would get offered it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete wrote:
    Totally, if no-one jumped red lights we'd all get the respect we deserve.
    In fact those people who lean out of their car windows and shout 'get a car' would go out and buy bikes!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Although to be fair the amount of "I don't care I nearly hit you because I saw a cyclist last week jump a red light and you're all the same" type rants is rather numerous.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    The Rookie wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Fines are means related, that level of fine suggests someone earning circa £600 a week after TAX/NI

Everyone convicted of a criminal offence pays the surcharge (often incorrectly called the victim surcharge.

Its at the discretion of the Police to offer an FPN or not, for cases where the RLJ is more than 2-3 seconds after the light goes red they are usually not offered so most cycling RLJers would get offered it.
    Well, that's cleared that up for me.
    Just to be clear, I echo the comments in support of him being fined, I was just a bit bemused why the fine was so much.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    The Rookie wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:

in Norwich ? I doubt it thesedays, maybe in the mid 90s and you were a cobol/DB2 expert a well known local insurance company might well have been paying contractors those kinds of rates, but you certainly wouldnt be living in Rose Lane if you earned that kind of money there are far nicer places even in Norwich than next door to nightclub alley

I bet they only managed to catch him because theyve been digging up that street in Norwich for months as part of their cycle city plan/road improvements and half the roads are blocked off or single lane around it.
  • 5milestogo
    5milestogo Posts: 224
    It all seems to be happening in Norwich...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/cycli ... _1_4659502

...although the application of the penalty system seems a little inconsistent and in line with what you say 'Bendertherobot'.
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    5milestogo wrote:
    It all seems to be happening in Norwich...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/cycli ... _1_4659502

...although the application of the penalty system seems a little inconsistent and in line with what you say 'Bendertherobot'.
    Great to see Norfolk police and magistrates getting tough on the real badass criminals in their county.
  • The Rookie
    It's a crime, commit it in front of a police officer and you get what you get, do t like the heat stay out of the kitchen!

If they ignored some 'minor' offences then the rate of them being committed would shoot up. All in favour myself.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's a crime, commit it in front of a police officer and you get what you get, do t like the heat stay out of the kitchen!

If they ignored some 'minor' offences then the rate of them being committed would shoot up. All in favour myself.

Very upstanding principles I'm sure but the unfortunate fact is that prosecution of minor offences in the magistrates courts is a postcode lottery. If said 'criminal' lived in one of our big cities it is highly unlikely he would have been prosecuted in the same circumstances as there are far more serious cases which need prosecuting. So the minor ones are not pursued unless there is some compelling reason why and it is in the public interest. Out in the sticks you are more likely to be prosecuted than if you live in a big city. Not fair .Laws should apply and be enforced equally to all.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would also like to see pedestrians fined for stepping out directly into the path of a passing bike when the red man is showing for the crossing - happens literally EVERY day on my commute for one particular crossing.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Semantik wrote:
    Out in the sticks you are more likely to be prosecuted than if you live in a big city. Not fair .Laws should apply and be enforced equally to all.
    I agree that it's not fair, but surely the way to make it fair is to try and enforce the law more within the city's rather than being more lenient in the rural areas?
  • The Rookie
    The Police can't chase up every criminal offence, there needs to be enough enforcement to act as a disincentive on any particular crime, we all want certain crimes chased harder, and all have different priorities.

I travel a lot to India, lack of enforcement on certain crimes leads to massive criminality, mostly on the roads, be careful what you wish for.

As for red lights for peds, they carry no weight in law directly, raise a petition if you want 'jay walking' criminalised in the same way it is in the US where the red light is binding.
  • The Rookie
    Well at the moment they don't know who was driving as the article makes clear, so if the registered keeper wasn't driving and names the driver, he'll obviously get off Scott free!

As for the driver, good chance BTP will go for dangerous driving which is a minimum 1 year ban.