Which bike computer?

Stuart_NI
Stuart_NI Posts: 31
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I've recently got into cycling and am currently searching for a bike computer. I want it to tell...

Current Speed
Highest Speed
Current Distance
Overall Distance

I have read some reviews of computers where if the battery is changed it resets itself to factory and you can't re-enter your mileage. I would like to be able to re-enter my mileage so I can keep a record of my total miles. Has anyone got any recommendations? thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Edge 20 or 25.

Battery? :shock:
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    My local ALDI are still selling Garmin Edge 25 for £79. I got one but it's playing up badly. For that money I'd consider a wired, non-GPS computer and pocket the difference. There are a few that allows for data download and use of other sensors. The benefits include longer battery life. My edge 25 lasts about 2 to 3 days commuting of 1 hour per day. It's not very good and nowhere near the advertised battery life.
  • *Dusty*
    *Dusty* Posts: 35
    I bought an Edge 200 from Halfords, all your functionality requirements plus very basic navigation tools too. £63 with british cycling discount.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you have a smartphone? Strava records all of that and can keep track of your mileages.

I really think the battery change thing isn't something to worry about.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    If you are looking at a traditional cycle computer rather than a GPS/Strava/mobile phone system, I can recommend the Cateye Strada Slim Wireless. It records everything you said you wanted in your original post and you can reset the total mileage manually when you change the battery, which lasts about a year. It's easy to install and set up, weighs virtually nothing and the sensor is hidden behind the fork blade. Cost around £36 from Wiggle etc.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Just got the missus at Garmin 25. Very neat unit. Modern take on the small bike computers of old, but with GPS etc...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    The Wahoo sensor (which i believe the Lidl was a re-badged version of) to hook up by bluetooth to your phone/tablet?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    edge 25
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Get a Garmin. You'll only end up wanting one in the long term. All your rides, stats etc can then be saved on a Garmin Connect account for time immemorial.