Cyclists are worse than drivers!

2»

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Fenix wrote:

You have a choice of a car doing 20 or a bike doing - lets say 22 mph. What would you rather be hit by ?

I wonder what stops quicker at 20 ... Push bike or car ??? ... Might go test it later, if my quads recover by then
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Fenix wrote:
    People are stupid in all forms of transport. All you can do is not to be a doorknob yourself.

^ this is probably the best advice EVER given ^
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    mrfpb wrote:
    KevinA wrote:
    No indications,

Given a choice between indicating and braking what would you choose.

Mirror/shoulder check, signal, manoeuvre is the procedure. So, signal, brake, turn.

PS- Thanks to the thread for enlightening me as to why I have two bruised knuckles. It had been puzzling me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • leemeh
    leemeh Posts: 16
    One of the main issues is cars forgive each other of mistakes. You pull out in error in a car into the path of another car (we are all human) - little hand up to wave and apologise and you fall over yourselves to be nice to each other and wave each other through.

There is a lot of hatred on the road for cyclists so any error any of us makes is met with 'all cyclists do that everytime' because many drivers are carrying around hatred looking for cyclist to make any mistake at all - so they only see problems. Its the old 'typical BMW' attitude meaning 1000 BMWs drive like angels, one makes a mistake and its 'see every BMW does that'.

There are definarely no issues with cyclists any more so than anyone in a car. For every cyclist jumping a light there will be someone in a car speeding or texting. Its impossible to stamp out idiots. Somehow we all need to be a bit more chilled out, no idea how
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Has anyone mentioned road tax yet? ;-)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    vimfuego wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned road tax yet? ;-)
    Only a stupid person would do that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Both cyclists and motorists and for that matter pedestrians widely ignore the Road Traffic Act and Highway Code. For instance, a survey by the RAC found 87% of motorists regularly broke the speed limit.
    I would be quite happy for there to be a police office on every corner and for them to take the bike off every pavement riding, red light jumping cyclist. I would also be happy if every speeding and mobile phone using motorist had their vehicles taken off them.

But if you want to define a 'worst' is has to be motorists due to the number of people they kill and injure.
    This is a link to a road traffic collision map. Try it for where you live, the key is red = fatality, blue = serious, yellow = slight.

http://www.collisionmap.uk/

Looking at the region where I live ( approximately 1 million people) all of the fatalities are motor vehicle with either a pedestrian, cyclist or other motor vehicle. I can find no instance of a cycle/pedestrian fatality. I am sure that in some cases the motorist were blameless and the collision was wholly the fault of a cyclist or pedestrian. In these cases they have been punished to a degree far greater than that allowed by the law, the death penalty having been abolished. But in the cases where the motorist was at fault, wholly or partially the pedestrian and cyclist has still been killed whilst the motorist is unharmed. There has been no recorded instance of injury to an occupant of a motor vehicle in the UK as the result of a collision with a pedestrian or cyclist.

If you then consider the punishment given out to motorist by the courts they are lamentable:
    Glasgow; six people killed with no prosecution.
    Bristol; child crushed to death on pavement, driver receives 200 hours unpaid work.
    Edinburgh; Driver's second conviction for killing cyclists receives 300 hours unpaid work and a lifetime driving ban asked for under appeal deemed too harsh.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I'm calling troll, a very subtle one at that. Looking at the OP's history I think he's been yanking our chain all along.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Vslowpace wrote:
    I'm calling troll, a very subtle one at that. Looking at the OP's history I think he's been yanking our chain all along.

Nope - not in this thread.

Where I post tongue-in-cheek comments it's perfectly clear and/or I always mention that the post isn't serious.

In this thread I'm venting my frustration at fellow cyclists who I observe during my cycle rides.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    rumbataz wrote:
    Vslowpace wrote:

Nope - not in this thread.

Where I post tongue-in-cheek comments it's perfectly clear and/or I always mention that the post isn't serious.

In this thread I'm venting my frustration at fellow cyclists who I observe during my cycle rides.

If you hadn't called the thread "Cyclists are worse than drivers!" some of the comments wouldn't have been what they were. Your original post doesn't actually compare the two really as the title makes out.

What you should have done is titled the thread "A huge amount of cyclists are d1cks", which is true.
  • Wilby_89
    Wilby_89 Posts: 96
    I try to not get bogged down by stupid drivers and cyclist as I feel it can ruin your ride.
    Try to just keep positive and karma will come arou d. :lol: