Handlebar/Stem upgrade

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
The bars (Cannondale C2 Compact) which on my synapse are bit wide so I have decided to change them for narrower set so may as well use the opportunity to upgrade them.

Are there any advantages to going for carbon bars and stem especially considering the additional cost over alloy?

Any recommendations on light bars and stem with a shortish reach and drop?

Thanks

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    IME carbon bars and stem will make little difference to comfort and may be heavier than alloy.
    Ritchey WCS Logic II bars and C220 stem worth a look.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Deda Zero 100.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    zipp SL 70, either alloy or carbon. zipp SL sprint stem.
  • No real advantage with carbon over alloy, in fact I would suggest that bars/stem are one of the few remaining component areas where alloy is a better choice; light, stiff and durable. Very few pros use carbon as they are a pain in the a*** for mechanics who have to unwrap and inspect them after a crash, and even then you could have micro cracks which are not visible to the eye.

As suggested both deda zero 100 (shallow bend) and the zipp SL are light and have short reach and drop. Have used both, am currently on Zipp SL 88, though the SL 80 has the shortest drop of their 3 alloy bars. The sprint stem is great but far more expensive than the SL service course stem which is just as good IMO.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    I did this exact thing with my Synapse alloy, C2 alloy front end to carbon bars and stem.

As you well know, it is not cheap, so the decision of worth is one only you can make.

I was lucky and managed to locate a 3T stem for something like £105, and some truly wonderful 3T Ergonova Team Stealth bars (With no bloomin red on them!!!) for £110 from CRC - so good I really wish I had bought another pair, as I really want one for my new bike now :cry:
    Hindsight and all that.

So yes they are a lot more pricey, and may or may not give any actual ride improvement, but I absolutely love my setup (The bike came with a carbon seatpost already) and find it a joy to ride.
    Admittedly I changed all of these parts before I ever rode it, so have no direct comparison :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    +1 on the 3T Ergonova bars and Arx stem...though I'd say the alloy version is just as good, much cheaper and perhaps a tad comfier...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    3T Ergonova have a very short reach, shortest of the carbon bars? Only 77mm from memory. They fall into the 'compact bar' category, but whilst they suit some inflexible people there are other compact carbon bars out there with not too dissimilar drop but not quite that tiny reach.

OP, don't bother with a carbon stem, they are a complete waste of money. A lot of manufacturers do have carbon bars with shapes they don't offer in alloy though, and they can take some road buzz away too.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Thanks everyone. I am veering toward the Zipp SL70 as the moment. I can get the 3T Ergosum for less than £100 but it has quite a lot more reach (89mm) than the Ergonova or similar bars.

I am currently running a 110mm stem so if I shortened it to 100mm would have compensate for the longer reach?