2003/04 Scott AFD Team scandium frame, what should I do?

Roweyrho
Roweyrho Posts: 15
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Bought an old Scott scandium frame on a whim, figured I could do a winter build around it. It's very light, like very very light... There's not a great deal of info on the web about it either.

What I need help with is what I should do with it, will it structurally still be ok? With it being a very chocolate material and being over 10 years old is it a bit of a slowly sinking ship? Best to part ways with it?

Or I was thinking of completely trying to restore it and build it up.

Also, if anyone knows anything about these frames please speak up! :)

IMG_2620_copy.jpg

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think a colleague of mine rides one of these as his commuter (it's definitely an aluminium Scott that looks very similar to this, I'll have to check). He bought it from another colleague of ours who's had it since new. It must have taken a hammering having been used as a commuter for years and I don't think there's anything wrong with the frame.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited July 2016
    Is the NDS rear dropout missing a bit? Looks like it should have a bit more metal around the axle than that; not much for the QR lever to clamp on to...

ETA - ignore that; other images show similarly minimalistic dropouts.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My mate still has his hanging-up in his garage - Scandium frames are notoriously stiff and have a propensity to crack, hence manufacturers only offered limited lifetime warranties. Make sure you give it a good visual inspection but otherwise use as intended - make sure you have a comfy saddle and shorts! I had a Scandium track frame that I rode as fixed gear on the road - brutal with deep rim alloy wheels!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Roweyrho
    Roweyrho Posts: 15
    It's got a couple of superficial dents in the top tube, nothing bad at all. Think it's still got a few years left in it?

Was quite an expensive bike/frame in it's day from what I can see.
    Monty Dog wrote:
    My mate still has his hanging-up in his garage - Scandium frames are notoriously stiff and have a propensity to crack, hence manufacturers only offered limited lifetime warranties. Make sure you give it a good visual inspection but otherwise use as intended - make sure you have a comfy saddle and shorts! I had a Scandium track frame that I rode as fixed gear on the road - brutal with deep rim alloy wheels!

Ever have any problems yourself with Scandium other than comfort? I'm more of a stiffness over comfort kinda guy anyways.
    keef66 wrote:
    Is the NDS rear dropout missing a bit? Looks like it should have a bit more metal around the axle than that; not much for the QR lever to clamp on to...

ETA - ignore that; other images show similarly minimalistic dropouts.

I think there's something missing from under where the BB goes, seen it in other photo's.. Something that routes the cables I think..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Google bottom bracket cable guide. Cheap plastic part usually held in place with a screw, but some are glued on.