Frame plugs\grommets to fill unused cable holes on a Di2 bike

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,588
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

on my Synapse, it has these big old holes on the down tube:
27963277884_9d6584499c_k.jpg

Googling, tells me that there used to be a set of spare parts for £7, called KP298 which would have filled these, but it appears to no longer be available.

http://www.cannondalespares.com/Synapse-Carbon-%282014%29-exploded-diagram/browse_by_model/synapse-carbon-2014
kp298.jpg&maxx=500&maxy=0

This seems to be the actual parts set, although I noticed that my bike already comes with the bototm bracket area fitted.

Any idea what else I could use - some generic term I need to search for on ebay perhaps?

When I search for Di2 frame plugs, it tends to come with the the ones that are designed to reduce the sixe of the hole and allow the entry\exit of a power lead - well unless I am misunderstanding it.

I have considered Sugru, but feel it a bit too permament, and might damage the paint if it ever has to be removed.

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Apparently KP298 is still available- just everyone is out of stock at the moment. I am being quoted November for delivery.
    Electrical tape in the meantime (I had the same thoughts about Sugru).
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I lost my plastic BB cover after a mechanic (yes, me whingeing about mechanics again!) didnt clip it back properly after an emergency mid-ride snapped cable change, and it fell off...

I now use a piece of duct tape with a small drainage hole cut into it, and it seems to work better at keeping wet stuff out!

As for the holes in the downtube, a bit more duct tape for you!
  • daniel_b
    rjfrussell wrote:
    Apparently KP298 is still available- just everyone is out of stock at the moment. I am being quoted November for delivery.
    Electrical tape in the meantime (I had the same thoughts about Sugru).

That's great news, can I ask which distributor you are dealing with?
    It's been a few weeks since I contacted anyone, but I wonder if it was Cannondalespares.com

I would be happy to pay now on the knowledge they would be in by the end of the year.

@Secteur, I appreciate the uses of gaffertape, but not on the outside of my frame :shock:
    Have you defected from a Secteur to a Synapse then?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Yes - the Secteur was my first bike, and after 2 or 3 years upgraded to the Synapse Hi Mod which has been my year-round bike for the last 3 years or so. Love it!

But i'd definitely put a small patch of duct tape over those holes to prevent rain / sweat / ribena getting inside the frame and down over the cables into the BB assembly. They wont leave marks (the big patch I put over the BB hole underneath the frame never leaves any mark, or at least nothing a bit of alcohol wont immediately shift, and that's a 6 or 7cm long full width strip).
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Have you ever used Sugru? It is soft, pliable, will fill that hole just fine and is by no means 'permanent' in the way you describe it. You could easily remove it and it certainly doesn't bond like superglue which would risk pulling lacquer/ paint off. Looks like the ideal solution if you can't get the specifically designed parts...

PP
  • daniel_b
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Have you ever used Sugru? It is soft, pliable, will fill that hole just fine and is by no means 'permanent' in the way you describe it. You could easily remove it and it certainly doesn't bond like superglue which would risk pulling lacquer/ paint off. Looks like the ideal solution if you can't get the specifically designed parts...

PP

I have not pp, but you have inspired me to have a go, especially as there is a yellow colour!
    Any tips?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    fwiw i used sugru to fill mounting holes when i switched to etap, easy to apply, no issues with durability all weathers c. 6 months

it's a silicone rubber and as mentioned above, it's removable, cut/shear it from the surface

i know a few people on weight weenies used it too, no reports of any problems

once you open a sachet, you have to use it, it'll start setting, keep unused sachets in the freezer to extend shelf life

not sure what goes on inside the holes in your frame, it might be worth seeing if you can fit a rubber bung with a bit of thread through it as a stopper, then use sugru as the surface sealant for cosmetics, that way you don't need to push the sugru in too deep

read the usage faq on the sugru website for hints and tips, how to get a smooth finish etc.

i think the yellow is in the multicolour pack, decide which colour(s) you need least, use that for practice first
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • daniel_b
    Cheers guys, I have ordered a multi 8 pack from Amazon, will get to have a go with it at some point when I am back from France.

If it looks vaguely decent I will post pics, but with a 3 year old daughter don't expect anything much before Christmas!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    FYI party people, the official dooberry is now in stock allegedly:

http://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannondale-Synapse-Carbon-Di2-Frame-Plugs--KP298/product_detail/3-40298

Just ordered one, and a spare seatpost clamp wedge thingy - only one of the latter left now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Daniel B wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

I have not pp, but you have inspired me to have a go, especially as there is a yellow colour!
    Any tips?

Just follow the instructions, once you open it, make it pliable between your fingers and then push it into the hole! You can smooth it with a wet finger, or shape it, scrape it etc using a straight edge tool. I filled the unused holes on my C60 this way, and just smoothed them over with a wet finger after removing the excess with a kitchen knife (don't tell the missus! :wink: )

I also mounted the Di2 junction box to the stem using it, which was as simple as making a sphere with the Sugru, putting it on the junction box mount and then pushing it to the stem. Again, remove the excess that 'squidges' out and make sure it is well seated into the Sugru and then leave to cure. Junction box then clicks into place once set and it makes for a very neat solution, much better than the horrendous looking fat rubber strap that is supplied to fit to your stem.

I also made a mount for my rear mudguard on the winter bike. It is a Blumells guard with a plastic bracket that snaps around and holds the guard for mounting to the rear brake mount. With vibration and time this wears either side of the guard away so the spring fit of the mount doesn't hold the guard properly. Sugru to the rescue bridging the gap between mount and guard and acting like glue as well as a bit of a damper. Again, just clean everything fully, warm up the Sugru by rolling it between your fingers, press into the item and then press the item into the other item to be joined, trim off any excess and smooth the finish if needs be. Couldn't be easier!

Have fun. (It's just like playdough!)

PP