9-speed Sora to 10-speed 105

MTN Chewbacca
MTN Chewbacca Posts: 14
edited July 2016 in Workshop
I've never given the technical aspects much thought. New bike? That's what stores are for. Repair? There's a mechanic around the corner.

After having downgraded to Sora I'm thinking of returning to 105 piece-by-piece. What I wanted to know is, starting with shifters, what other components besides cassette and respective chain will have I to buy along with it to make the whole thing compatible? Derailleurs?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Just realized there's a similar thread below, though maybe not quite the same.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    shifters, cassette, chain

mechs and chainset will be fine
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A lot will depend on which version of Sora you have and which 105 you are moving to since the pull ratio could be different which will make it an expensive change as you will need to change brake calipers as well as shifters, cassette, etc.

I have had to change my pure 9 speed setup (combo of 6500 & 4500) due to a problem with the crankset but, after only replacing that with an fc4700 (Tiagra), I am now at the tipping point as the next step to 10 speed 4700+ is pretty much everything (apart from the RD). Hence, will probably go for an "ebay special" groupset and try and get something from someone who has swapped out a complete 4700 on a new bike. I am not in any hurry though.

Check the compatibility chart here
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    A lot will depend on which version of Sora you have and which 105 you are moving to since the pull ratio could be different which will make it an expensive change as you will need to change brake calipers as well as shifters, cassette, etc.

I have had to change my pure 9 speed setup (combo of 6500 & 4500) due to a problem with the crankset but, after only replacing that with an fc4700 (Tiagra), I am now at the tipping point as the next step to 10 speed 4700+ is pretty much everything (apart from the RD). Hence, will probably go for an "ebay special" groupset and try and get something from someone who has swapped out a complete 4700 on a new bike. I am not in any hurry though.

Check the compatibility chart here

@ OP: 9 speed Sora to 10 speed 105 is as Dungthor says; shifters, chain, cassette. The rest will work.

@ Bobbinogs: If you go to 10 speed 4700 you will need new front and rear mechs; they changed the pull ratio :(
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Aha! Thanks Keef
  • Many thanks everyone, very helpful. :-)