Red 22 crank installation BB30

mamil314
mamil314 Posts: 1,103
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hello;

This is is my first go at BB30 installation; bike is CAAD10. I've got 2nd hand Red22 crankset and replaced rings with Praxis; bottom bracket is from Rotor;
so, after installing circlips and pressing in the bearings, i inserted the shields and squirted some loctite641 on the bearings and spindle and pushed it in as far as it'd go; attached drive side crank and tightened it. Cranks spins nicely and there is no play either way, but there is massive 2-3 mm gap on the non drive side with spindle visible; wavy washer is nowhere near being compressed and grey plastic thing is nowhere near enough to fill the gap. Where did i go wrong?

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhhOZ4Oe8F8N2kDdCTZKAewxu1LH

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Did your crank come with a black spacer like this ? My Sram force 22 crank did but im not sure if it does with Red 22.

zkW442e.jpg

On the side of the grey plastic thing there is a small hex screw. Loosen it off and then turn the grey plastic thing (its on a thread) to take up the gap. If it pops off the thread before it closes the gap. Then the gap is still too big and you'll need another spacer on there.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Possibly the loctite. The axle has to be free to slide through the bearings to take up end float. Sounds like maybe yours wasn't free to be pulled through by the drive side bolt. Never heard of loctite-ing the axle to the inner bearing race before...
  • mamil314
    trailflow wrote:
    Did your crank come with a black spacer like this ? My Sram force 22 crank did but im not sure if it does with Red 22.

zkW442e.jpg

On the side of the grey plastic thing there is a small hex screw. Loosen it off and then turn the grey plastic thing (its on a thread) to take up the gap. If it pops off the thread before it closes the gap. Then the gap is still too big and you'll need another spacer on there.

This must be it. It would seem that BB30A crank spindle is 5 mm longer than BB30 shell. Now, to source that spacer from somewhere, i wonder if this will do the job?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... ROKL5A1OLE
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Sram Red crankset isn't a BB30A axle. The crank in the picture is sram force or s series. They are a wider axle again than even a bb30a.
  • mamil314
    You are, of course, correct, i was just a couple of rubber mallet bangs away, thank you.