Coming to road biking

AllAboutGuitar
AllAboutGuitar Posts: 47
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey Everyone :D

I'm currently a mountain biker and have a Voodoo Canzo. I'm not completely stopping mountain biking I love it, it can give you a great rush if you know where to go.

It's just that a full sus MTB 1. Doesn't look to good while cycling on the road and 2. Isn't really suited for it.

That's why I'd like to think about getting a proper road bike, could you help point me in the right direction and maybe give a few options?

- First of all I have absolutely no experience with road bikes
- Was thinking nothing really high spec but nothing really beginner in a way
- Just something day to day aswell, wouldn't really get into races/competitions until I was used to it

I'd probably put my budget around £1000, just for the bike.

Thanks for your help :D

Josh

Comments

• cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    It's generally always agreed that a beginner go for an aluminium bike rather than carbon as they will have scuffs and crashes. plus alu has come a very long way now that it rivals carbon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsLYlVWkbQ
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cantaloupe wrote:
    It's generally always agreed that a beginner go for an aluminium bike rather than carbon as they will have scuffs and crashes. plus alu has come a very long way now that it rivals carbon.

Sorry, but who is it that 'generally agrees' this? Not sure if that video is meant to be serious, but everyone in it appears to have taken LSD...
  • cantaloupe
    Imposter wrote:
    cantaloupe wrote:

Sorry, but who is it that 'generally agrees' this? Not sure if that video is meant to be serious, but everyone in it appears to have taken LSD...

Over the last year I've been searching a new road bike as a novice and the vast majority I have asked or heard been recommended is aluminium. a slight knock on a carbon frame can mean that frame is not road worthy even if the damage is not visible.
    I have heard carbon is for more experienced riders?
  • imposter2.0
    You've obviously been talking to the wrong people. Someone once told me there was a London bus parked on the moon, but I dismissed it as bullsh1t. You should try adopting the same objective approach, before simply regurgitating what uninformed people tell you.....
  • cantaloupe
    Imposter wrote:
    You've obviously been talking to the wrong people. Someone once told me there was a London bus parked on the moon, but I dismissed it as bullsh1t. You should try adopting the same objective approach, before simply regurgitating what uninformed people tell you.....

ok then

tell me this is not true.....

A novice is going to have more knocks and crashes than an experienced rider?

An alu with knocks and crashes can still be rode unlike a carbon frame?
  • imposter2.0
    cantaloupe wrote:

ok then

"It's not true". Seriously, get a grip. Think about what you're saying.
  • cantaloupe
    Imposter wrote:
    cantaloupe wrote:

ok then

"It's not true".

Then show me.
  • imposter2.0
    A carbon bike is no more or less crashworthy than a bike made from any other material. Go educate yourself fella. In the meantime, stop presenting your ill-informed opinions as facts. This is not the first time you've done it, either.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Carbon's a lot tougher than most people think.

A damaged carbon frame can frequently be repaired. Damaged alu is generally not repairable.

A beginner is no more or less likely to crash than an experienced cyclist. I went 7 years before I started falling off. Though when the latter crashes it could well be more serious because they were going faster. I speak from personal experience...

The OP doesn't sound like a beginner to me.

Back to the OP; have a read of the Best Road bike for under a grand somewhere on Bike Radar. hard to buy a bad one at that price.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    OK, for 2016 they've upped the budget to bikes below £1500, but you'll get an idea of what to look for

Watch the video and have a wade through the reviews for the bikes listed at the bottom.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... 100-46693/

For a road bike, getting the right size / geometry / setup is more important than for an MTB, so it can be a good idea to deal with a local bike shop for your first one, rather than being tempted by an internet bargain.

I did that when I returned to road cycling after a 25 year absence. Got great advice and a bike fit; still riding the bike 9 years on. Next purchase was an internet bargain, but by then I knew what size / geometry I needed.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    This should do you very nicely if it fits. I believe you can get an extra 10% off with British Cycling membership too...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-49957/
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I was in the same place as you exactly a year ago. Ended up getting a Giant Defy 0 on the company's cycle to work scheme. Came in at just under a grand and has done everything I've wanted from it.

Like you, I said it was always going to be an addition to my mountain biking... I've ridden my mtb once in the past year and put around 3,000 miles on the road bike.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Just wanna point out to certain posters that as the OP Is an experienced MTB'er they probably have far better bike handling skills than the average roadie ;)

You got a lot of choice at the £1000 mark and will find it hard (within reason) to go wrong. Check out decathlon bikes for that price, you'll probably get a decent carbon for that. Else cannondale do a great aluminium bike...actually, many do, enjoy whatever it is you choose!! :)
  • cantaloupe
    The decathlon bikes are well done, however.

The cheaper Triban series has a more relaxed/endurance/sportive riding position than the models at the top end (ultra)
    it's worth knowing.
    That's another thing the OP has to take into consideration (comfort or race geometry)
  • Thanks for all the answers everyone.

Already researched some of the links posted, but I think i've still got a bit of thinking to do. Seems like carbon is dominating most of the thread so probably gonna go that way. Still, just thought I'd get my head into the game and start thinking.

Once again, thanks for all the replies :D
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    There are plenty of bikes to choose from in your budget...I just saw that Giant have a 20% promotion on the Defy range...105 gears and TRP discs for less than £800 is very good value IMO...
  • Hey guys,

Something that came across my mind while researching, I know there's a proper sub-category for it but I don't want to create a whole new thread on it. Because i'm coming from MTB and have next to no experience of road biking, could it be better to get a cyclocross bike and sort of combine the two? Then, even though it means more money, I can decide whether I want to get a proper road bike.

Cheers :D