Whyte 905 RS vs Genesis Latitude

JayX2A
JayX2A Posts: 113
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
So after trying out a number of different Hardtails and eliminating a load from the list, I have narrowed my choice to these two beasts.

Both are in sale and come in around the same price. I tried both the medium and large in the Whyte, but there is so little between sizes its hard to split them (about 12mm in reach and 18mm in ETT). The sizing of the genesis is bit harder!

They are both 2016 models and the Latitude will have a stealth dropper fitted rather than the standard one. Obvious differences are that one is steel and one is alloy... which of course makes the latitude heavier... but does having steel make up for the extra weight? Think its about 2KG heavier that the 905.

Fork on the 905 is better I think. 905 has GX 1 x 11, Latitude XT 1 x 11.

Bikes are here:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mou ... l/latitude

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/whyte-905-review

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I would get the steel frame, yari is definently stiffer than the suntour but damping wise don't think so, it's the same crude open cartridge system found on sektors rl. Xt componentry on the gen is great although a bit on the heavy side. From factory specs the gen is about 800gr heavier
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • JayX2A
    Herdwick wrote:
    I would get the steel frame, yari is definently stiffer than the suntour but damping wise don't think so, it's the same crude open cartridge system found on sektors rl. Xt componentry on the gen is great although a bit on the heavy side. From factory specs the gen is about 800gr heavier

Not a lot heavier considering its steel! Just getting a price with reverb fitted.
  • Herdwick
    Ks are also good and can get a remote for 45 quid, I have both a reverb and a ks and prefer ks, actuation is better and ergonomics as well, can be fitted at both ends without interfeering with any controls, unlike the reverb witch is a pain to get it right with shimano stuff
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Weight may be tires, tubes, wheel combo, and possible to drop a few grams in the future if you want
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • JayX2A
    Anyone got 2016 Genesis bike? I'm not sure on sizing!
  • Herdwick
    what size is your current bike?
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • JayX2A
    Herdwick wrote:
    what size is your current bike?

Current bike is 19" Saracen:

My Mantra
    ETT 625
    Stem 70
    Total 695
    Reach 442

Latitude M
    ETT 623
    Stem 55
    Total 678
    Reach 440

Latitude L
    ETT 650
    Stem 55
    Total 705
    Reach 465
  • Herdwick
    L would be ideal, but can get an xl if you like to try something longer, but only if the seat tube length is ok! If it's longer that you like you can always use a shorter stem.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut