Canyon Endurance CF 9.0 SL- any good?

AR123
AR123 Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Would really appreciate any advice here...looking to upgrade my bike to something a little newer. Have finally decided I want mechanical shifting in the form of Dura Ace and avoiding disc brakes meantime too so I now find myself looking at the Canyon Endurance CF 9.0 SL.
First issue is sizing, online sizing chart appears to make no odds once figures are punched in and the calculator basically sticks you on a bike according purely to height. I'm a few millimetres under 6'4"and have a fair old reach yet it recommends a XL however the range goes xl,2xl then 3xl so I'm a little perplexed how id be third size down from the top? Can't really imagine anyone much taller than me so can't quite work out who the 2 or 3xl may fit which makes me think there must be some other measurements that I've taken that need to be taken into account, arm length for example? I've messed around with the figures but it would appear that even if I had the arms of an orangutan I'd still be in the xl. Last thing I want to do is be on a bike that's too small. The sizes also stop and start at certain heights. There appear to be no common crossover points between sizes, for example xl stops at 196cm, 2xl starts at 196cm so if I but xl and want to stretch bike slightly I can't, similarly opposite problem if I go 2xl.

Can anyone help with this, anyone with similar experience?

Also, I general, I like the look of Canyons, but is that enough to go on! Are they decent enough bikes?

And just before I get a pile of answers telling me to support my local bike shop by getting a fit in there, I've been to loads already and generally get a different answer every time for size depending on which brand of bike and style I look at. Canyon are purely online so I don't have that option.

Thanks in advance for any help - it will be most appreciated!

Comments

• They are worthy bikes of the praise they get, and are probably one of the cheapest pro level frames available.

Email Canyon about sizing, the PPS system works quite well usually.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    A few days ago I emailed Canyon about sizing, I am 5'11 and 31in inseam.

They recommended me a size M

I think the reason they have 2xL and 3xL is because German people are very tall, if you notice you will find all German bike manufacturers have these very big sizes.

this is the email I got, hope it helps.
    Many thanks for your e-mail.

According to your PPS data, to achieve a competitive and comfortable riding position I would recommend frame size Medium.

I have taken into account the measurements you have given me and the dimensions of the frame but would like to advise you that everyone's personal preference with sizing can be slightly different depending on what we are used to riding and comfortable with.

As a company we have helped many customers with their sizing choices and have extensive experience with the geometry of our bikes. On a small number of occasions our recommendations do not meet our customers preferences. Should this happen we would be more than happy to arrange and pay for a collection of the bike and an alternative sent to you (if available).

This return policy is available for up to 30 days after you have received the bike. We recommend you try the bike out for size as soon as possible.

We ask that you try the bike out for size first indoors and then when the weather is nice, take the bike for a short test ride in your local street. With regret we cannot exchange a bike that shows signs of use or is not in the same condition that you received it in.

You should keep all packaging until you are happy with the bike.

Sincerely,

• Thanks for raising this post as I am in the same position with the confusion in sizing. I am 6 feet tall, 90kg athletic build with a 32" in seam, and the calculator came up with the small size for myself and said that i was out of proportion!
    It seems to be a mixed bag of comments on this but so far the medium is sounding my best option, anybody out there of similar physical make up. Many thanks....
  • crankarm77 wrote:
    Thanks for raising this post as I am in the same position with the confusion in sizing. I am 6 feet tall, 90kg athletic build with a 32" in seam, and the calculator came up with the small size for myself and said that i was out of proportion!
    It seems to be a mixed bag of comments on this but so far the medium is sounding my best option, anybody out there of similar physical make up. Many thanks....

Same issue here. 6 foot 1 tall and 32 inch inside leg and it came back with medium. Said im out of proportion insinuating i have short legs for my size which when i mentioned to my wife reduced her to hysterics as shes been telling me that for ages and I refused to believe her.

Perhaps Canyon's size guide knows our dimensions better than we think we know ourselves. Not placed an order yet so can't comment on whether that turned out to be correct
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I do it find it odd that people always tell you to try a bike before you buy it, but the likes of Canyon give you almost (see below) no way of doing this, especially as they're at the top end.

Anyway, I recently noticed that they sponsor the Cycling Weekly Sportives and say that they have multiple frames on offer to try out. It looks like they're only two left this year, one in September in Cheshire, another in October at Box Hill. I'm sure you don't need to do the sportive to test ride the bikes.

Given that Canyon have a sales office here, I'm really unclear why the hells bells they don't let you test ride from there as well.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I have an SL 9.0, I'm 6ft 32" leg, green eyes and shaved head.

I was on the cusp of medium and large, I rang them up, they said go for the Large, fits perfect. I've had it the best part of 2 years and its a great bike.