Bike Rack Thule Proride 591 or 598

Gouldy-89
Gouldy-89 Posts: 49
edited July 2016 in Road general
Hi,

I am a newbie to the road seen (pick my bikes for me and the other half up this Saturday) and need a bike rack as we're looking to do a few tours round South Wales over the summer and so on and the car is only a small hatchback. I've looked around the forums here and a few other sites and they all seem to rate the Thule ProRide racks very highly.

Just wondering if anyone has either one for a bit of info and/or knows the difference between the two - which one is the better buy?

Thanks.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I think the 598 is the newer version of their roof bike rack.
    Therefore it will be "better"

However, you'd need to define if "better" is any good to you - if a rack will hold your bike securly without damaging it and fits on your car ok - then it's good ... beyond that depends on convenience - what has changed on the 598? Is it quicker to release it - does that matter? Does it take wider tyres - are you going carry mountain bikes too?

Personally - I don't like roof racked bikes - I prefer mine on the towbar - but then I have a towbar on the cars specifically for this ...
  • Gouldy-89
    Gouldy-89 Posts: 49
    Yes, I would like the option to carry my mountain bike too 598 it is. I agree that a tow bar mounted would be preferable, sadly I do not have a tow bar on the car, and to mount one in addition to a rack is just too far out my price range.

Thanks for help
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The 561 is the other main option but that relies on front axle mounting and somewhere to stick the front wheel (there are options there inc. a wheel mount for the roof). There are also thru-bolt adapters if you need them but I guess the main restriction might be the tyre size. They do work great for normal bikes though. The Thule website has a very neat interactive selection tool to get the right one for you.