Confused by my disc (brake) wheels

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,588
edited July 2016 in Road general
Evening all,

I bought a pair of wheels off the classifieds on here, and they have the standard 6 bolt fitment, as per on my Alloy synapse, and my gf's Fuji:
28238929910_6ebba95cb4_z.jpg

I took delivery of my carbon synapse on Friday, but the setup looks like this on Mavic Aksium One Disc wheels:
28238930610_eaa842214f_z.jpg
28238928170_04ddc76bc5_z.jpg

Never seen it before but looks to me like the rotor is locked in somehow with a ring that does not look too dissimilar to one that would lock a cassette in place.

That is standard QR though no, it's not a through axle is it........?

So am I right in thinking I cannot use those rotors with my second hand wheels, but that the wheels with compatible rotors will still work on the carbon synapse?

Hoping I do not need to sell the wheels on again, can't really justify them on my winter bike.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Those wheels use the 'center lock' shimano standard instead of the more generic '6 bolt' standard.

You can get a cheap adapter to use 6 bolt rotors on centrelock wheels, but not the other direction.

With that said, rotors shouldn't really be that expensive (although some of the shimano ice-tech ones most definitely are...)

In theory, the tool to remove them is a standard cassette tool, although you may find yours isn't compatible.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    So you wont be able to use the existing rotors on your new wheels. You can however get an adapter to use 6 bolt rotors on centre-lock wheels. So you will need to buy new rotors for those wheels. I had to do the same to switch wheels on my Whyte because they changed to centre-lock this year for the OEM wheels/rotors.
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2016
    Nice one, thankyou gents - that explains it then.

TBH, I was planning to remove these straight away, and sell them complete with tyres, and now it looks like complete with rotors as well.

The second hand wheels I bought came with rotors, so if they are ok, I will use those, but I will likely look for some new ones, as it's a new bike.

So there is nothing stopping me using the wheels in this frame, the whole centrelock or QR differential is purely down to the hub design - I thought it was more involved that that, so good to know.

Good to know I do not need to sell them on, guessing there is no real disadvantage to QR as opposed to centrelock, otherwise one would become the standard.

Any rotor recommendations?

I need 140 front and rear, probably up to around £25 a pop - it's a new bike, don't feel I should cheapskate on this.

EDIT: Darn, looks like the Icetech ones only start at 160 (In 6 bolt formation) :-(
    SRAM, Hope?

Slightly bizarre, as the alloy synapse with Sram, has 160 front, and 140 rear.

Looks like 140 is not really a popular option for mountain bikes, hence the lack of choice.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    Centrelock or 6 bolt is about the mounting of the disc rotor. Has nothing to do with the axle type.

Axle types are QR, 12mm, 15mm etc and have nothing to do with rotor mounting system.

you can get any combination of rotor mount and axle type.

But yes, there is little to choose between 6 bolt or centrelock - 6 bolt is more universal and mainly shimano use centrelock as its their system I think. I think centrelock is in theory quicker and (arguably) easier to mount or remove the rotor but how often you do that means it really doesnt matter. I wish we didnt have two standards but we do...

I can recommend the Shimano ice-tec rotors if you are buying new - very nice and Merlin seem to have them cheap often.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks ap, seeing little out there for 6 bolt shimano 140 -Merlin have a cached link on google for a pair, but long gone.

Looking like Avid\SRAM, or Hope at the mo:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/avid-rotor-centerline-73486.html
    16355_avid_rotor_centerline.jpg
    https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-standard-fixed-rotors-2016-91006.html
    24220_hope_fixed_rotors.jpg

The SRAM ones I can get for £21.50 each.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    Damn - didnt realise you had 140mm, not so much choice around there...
  • daniel_b
    apreading wrote:
    Damn - didnt realise you had 140mm, not so much choice around there...

@rse :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Hi Daniel,

My bike had a similar thing, it came with centerlock wheels but I had some revo's which are 6-bolt, so I had to buy some rotors, bought the best ones I could buy which are icetech, which are the RT86, and paid around £20 for each after vouchers/giftcard/cashback, etc from Evans. They are 160mm though, pretty sure you can fit 160mm too, as the brakes are the same as mine, and if you are going to be doing any descending bigger is better :) The other issue I had is that when I swapped the wheels the new rotors rubbed against the pads, as the tolerances are small. You will have to adjust these and it is a bit of a faff, I watched a few videos in youtube and that helped! Let me know if you need a hand if you have this problem.

Hope this helps!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • apreading
    I am sure you could use 160mm but there are a couple of things you need to be aware of. The adapters that fit the brake caliper to the frame would need to replaced with 160mm adapters to position the caliper in the right place. It looks like that should be an easy job. But also you should be aware that frames/forks usually come with a maximum recommended rotor size because they might not take the torque of a really big rotor. I am sure you could probably go to 160mm even if they dont say you can, but you need to check that it doesnt invalidate your warranty.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Hope do 140's in their floating range.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-6-bolt-flo ... isc-rotor/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    I got new centre lock ice tech rotors for a set of new wheels about 4 months ago. I think I got them off eBay from a german bike shop. arrived within a couple of days.
  • daniel_b
    Hope do 140's in their floating range.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-6-bolt-flo ... isc-rotor/

Quite tasty price wise though, nearly £30 more for a pair.
    I think the SRAM ones are quite well rated.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18