4 flat tyres in 2 weeks. Something wrong?

sentur
sentur Posts: 12
edited July 2016 in Workshop
I've had four flat tyres on my Foffa single speed bike in the period of 2 weeks. One flat on the front and three on the back. For the first flat I did a patch up job with a repair kit. And I've now replaced both front and back inner tubes with brand new specialized ones (700cc 30 tyres and inner tubes).

It seems odd to have some many flats within such a short period of time. In all occasions the flat appears a day or two after the repair when I've cycled to and from work.

Is there anything else that could be at play, or have I just been really unlucky?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Check the inside of the rim
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Probably something sharp like glass or a thorn still inbedded in your tyre, or your rim tape is crap and isnt covering the spoke holes properly.

To check the tyre properly. Hold the tyre under a good light source like a lamp and roll it between your thumbs. Then use the tip of a needle to pick out any objects in the cuts. Check both the inside and out.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Or you have been unlucky. Cheap tyres can puncture all to often. In fact tyres with inner tubes do this all the time.

Or you have something trapped in your tyre or rim tape not covering spoke holes fully.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • sentur
    sentur Posts: 12
    Thanks for all your help and advise.

Turns out I had some fragments of glass embedded in the tyre. Not deep that I would have noticed them when checking the inside of the tyre, but on close inspection of the outside they would be big enough to puncture through when riding.