bottom bracket problem?

yadnom1973
yadnom1973 Posts: 45
edited July 2016 in Workshop
I have a Charge Juicer road bike and the bottom bracket has gone. The only thing written on the original BB is BC 1.37 x 24. I’ve not replaced a BB before so I called the distributer up, Cycling Sports Group, and they told me to buy a Shimano XTR M980 HollowTech 2 Bottom bracket. I bought one, cost £26, and it doesn’t fit. It’s about 5mm too long and I can see no way to get it on. I can’t find a parts list anywhere online for the bike. Is there something I’m doing wrong? How do I find the right BB for my bike?

Comments

• yadnom1973
    The space between to two ends on the original BB is 68mm and on the packet of the new BB it says 68mm/73mm but the space between to two ends on the new is 75mm. I’ve found metal spacers inside the packet, is it ok to install the longer BB with the spacers? Or should I find one that fits properly?
  • yadnom1973
    Well anyhow I installed it with the spaces, 2 on one side and one on the other and then had to remove the large plastic disk between the crank and the BB to make it fit on. It seems to work ok, if anyone reads this and sees I’ve done something stupid please drop a comment.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Posting a pic would help - personally, I'm not at all clear on what you've actually done or why....