Bike rack that fits a hatch back with a tail gate spoiler?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Does the Saris Bones fit with a spoiler? Ive searched for info but can find anything conclusive. If not this rack which rack for two bikes to fit an A3 with tailgate spoiler?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I suspect that it would fit. It can be adjusted so that the bikes can sit further away from the rear of the car.
  • on-yer-bike
    Garry H wrote:
    I suspect that it would fit. It can be adjusted so that the bikes can sit further away from the rear of the car.
    Its the straps I was thinking about that clip under the hatch lip at the top.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I have a fiesta with a spoiler. Looked at getting the saris bones but I read a couple of reviews which said the straps can damage the spoiler & the bones was not compatible with a fiesta.

Not sure how accurate that was but I decided against it and still making do with the bike going inside the boot. Although I haven't given up hope of finding one so will keep a close eye on this thread.
  • Consider the Seasucker Talon, sorts any spoiler issues out.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • marpick
    marpick Posts: 49
    I have a Civic with a spoiler on the tailgate, my saris bones will not fit, it relies on the bottom feet sitting on top of the bumper for its stability which the civic doesn't have, also it cannot sit correctly at the right angle on the tailgate with the spoiler in place.

If you go onto the saris website it'll tell you what vehicles the bones will fit, put your vehicle into the products part of the site and it tells you what is suitable for your car.
  • on-yer-bike
    Consider the Seasucker Talon, sorts any spoiler issues out.
    yes i saw those i would need the double one. very expensive. be okay if i used it alot.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:
    Its the straps I was thinking about that clip under the hatch lip at the top.

Take the spoiler off. Doubt it actually does anything anyway, if it does, just drive slower, which you probably should be doing anyway. Bl00dy Audi drivers, blah, blah, blah :wink:
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Consider the Seasucker Talon, sorts any spoiler issues out.
    yes i saw those i would need the double one. very expensive. be okay if i used it alot.

Yep, agree with the Talon, I borrowed one for a while and then invested. You sometimes has to wait to get the price, I got mine for £155 having waited for PBK to drop the price and then use another 10% on top.

Have to say, I may invest in the Wheel deck thing as well, as fitting the kids in the car in the morning (post work TTs) and the front wheel can be a pain
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Saris website will tell you which bike carriers fit which cars. As the civic I have has glass at the top edge of the tailgate no saris carrier is recommended.