edited July 2016 in Pro race
Enjoyed this article - especially the in article video:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... adam-yates
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Proper Northerners.

Their mum used to go to *every* race with them, handle their race entries and I think she still does a lot of their 'admin' today. A real cycling family.

Only 23 and I think we have our post-Froome British GT leaders in the Yates'.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • v2p
    v2p Posts: 36
    Seems sort of inevitable that they will end up on Sky eventually. Hope they stick it out with other teams for now though!
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Nice article. Have friends of the family in Bury and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest how down to Earth they are - just like the Nevilles. Bury will be very proud of them.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    That's a nice interesting background piece.

I think that the fact that he lost his podium position overshadowed just what a remarkable achievement his winning of the white jersey was. The first British winner of that competition. In fact, he completed the set for Britain, which is staggering when you think that before the start of the 2010 tour the British had won a solitary polka dot jersey.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    v2p wrote:
    Seems sort of inevitable that they will end up on Sky eventually. Hope they stick it out with other teams for now though!

Simon will never end up at Sky now he's served a ban.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    v2p wrote:

I hope neither of them go to Sky. I admire Sky for what they're doing but I want British cycling to be about more than just Sky.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    As someone born and raised in Bury (though living away now), and who lived opposite the Neville family for a while, I've made sure I've mentioned Yates' heritage at every opportunity recently.

Whilst being from there isn't a guarantee of being a "good bloke", the family do seem a good down to earth sort. Hope both of them continue to do well!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    v2p wrote:

I hope neither of them go to Sky. I admire Sky for what they're doing but I want British cycling to be about more than just Sky.

If Adam keeps showing potential like he is, then he could end up there to replace Froome but was he not the one they didn't want? So would he ever consider it? Probably would, but who knows.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Weird thing to say, but am I the only one that thinks they are too short to be a tour winner?

Seems tall and super thin is the current build to win the tour.

Porte might be small, but I think he is behind a few others as potential winners. Quintana is the exception I think.

Just something that doesn't convince me completely. Really hope I am wrong though. Do love seeing racing like yesterday though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    v2p wrote:

If Adam keeps showing potential like he is, then he could end up there to replace Froome but was he not the one they didn't want? So would he ever consider it? Probably would, but who knows.

Despite Adam finishing runner-up overall in 2013 Tour de l'Avenir riding for GB, Brailsford still only offered Simon a contract. Simon wisely turned him down. Having been shown his mistake in almost record time by Adam's neo pro performances out of the starting block in 2014, Brailsford went fishing for both Yates and was told Don't call us, we'll call you.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    Catching up on San Sebastian this morning didn't realise Adam had a habit of riding at the back of the bunch. Seems to be in the right place when it matters and it didn't stop Pantani doing OK but it'll be interesting to see if that continues now he's going to be seen as a genuine stage race contender.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Catching up on San Sebastian this morning didn't realise Adam had a habit of riding at the back of the bunch. Seems to be in the right place when it matters and it didn't stop Pantani doing OK but it'll be interesting to see if that continues now he's going to be seen as a genuine stage race contender.

He was doing it all tour, and copped some flak here for it, quite rightly.
    I pointed it out to one of my kids, explaining to them that as soon as the 2nd last rider cracks he'd have to close the gap to the 3rd last. Within about 30s the Movistar rider in front of him dropped and he was left having to close 5-10m himself.

While it may take energy to hold position at the front, being there and able to react if there's an attack, and not having to repeatedly close small gaps as others drop at the back, that's where he should be if he wants to improve.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Weird thing to say, but am I the only one that thinks they are too short to be a tour winner?

Seems tall and super thin is the current build to win the tour.
    Until someone else wins it. Yates is only 23. Where was Froome at 23, and Wiggins? Not finishing 4th in the Tour.

Porte might have had a slightly different race without that puncture (with no-one to pace him back) and no-one knows why the mercurial Quintana didn't challenge this year.

I think the rider's focus, team support, coaching and preparation are more important than just height & weight. In the mountains Sky set a tempo that meant any attacks couldn't stick. Froome took most time in the two TTs (see the chart in inrng's analysis) so perhaps the others still need to work on that; Yates said he'd hardly touched his TT bike this year, which I'd argue makes his results more impressive (and suggests room for improvement).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.