Mid range aero wheel help

Caader
Caader Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some clincher aero wheels predominantly for time trials. I'm a dura ace fan and already have Pacenti rims on these hubs and love the smooth rolling ride, so the natural choice was going to be Dura ace C50's. Mavic's carbone 40 also come under budget too. Does anyone have experience with both?

Looking longer term, which will be more durable and can i get replacement rims for either.

Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    a couple of years old now, but worth a read

https://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/c ... -buy-them/
    left the forum March 2023
  • Caader
    Caader Posts: 5
    Thanks,

c50's it is then.
  • Caader,

I have sent you a PM.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    a couple of years old now, but worth a read

https://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/c ... -buy-them/

Bitter much?
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814

Bitter much?
    Indeed. Also, "worth a read" is very much a matter of opinion. For the benefit of the OP it's only fair to point out that the "article" was written by the bloke recommending that you read it, and that he has a long standing record of berating Mavic (and many other factory built wheels) for reasons that appear to be more personal than factual or objective. :roll:

Mavic wheels are superbly put together, despite what some "hand Builders" would want you to believe.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    MikeBrew wrote:

Mavic wheels are superbly put together, despite what some "hand Builders" would want you to believe.

To be fair to Ugo, the article does not suggest that those wheels are not well put together. And everyone is entitled to an opinion.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Having ridden/borrowed a few sets for TT season this year if their for TT use and you want to stick with an alloy brake track you can't beat Zipp 60. Although they are noticeably weighty uphill.
  • MikeBrew
    Imposter wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

To be fair to Ugo, the article does not suggest that those wheels are not well put together. And everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Indeed, and to be fair to the OP I was merely pointing out to the OP that the piece to which he was being directed is only Ugo's opinion, and not an authoritative or even objective appraisal. :|
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Indeed, and to be fair to the OP I was merely pointing out to the OP that the piece to which he was being directed is only Ugo's opinion, and not an authoritative or even objective appraisal. :|

Good point. Because every other blog site on the internet is 100% authoritative and factual.
  • MikeBrew
    Imposter wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

Good point. Because every other blog site on the internet is 100% authoritative and factual.

There are good ones out there, DC Rainmaker for instance. As you rightly imply though, the majority are utter dross.. and really not worth the read :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    for the OP

I did like the C40... I thought that came through in the blog... I just thought for the money there were and there are lighter and more aero wheels, hence they are a bit "fancy pants". That said, if anyone is worried about braking on carbon clinchers, the C 40 have by far the best soloution with high Tg resin combined with an inner alloy rim bed
    left the forum March 2023