derauillur adjustment problem

Idkwhatnametopick
Idkwhatnametopick Posts: 11
edited July 2016 in Workshop
A few days ago I got round to indexing my gears. It went perfectly. Then I realised my first gear wasn't changing properly. Then I did it again but this time messed it up, and tired to readjust it but the barrel adjuster is turning but not actually moving the derauller. With the front derauillurr the limit screws just don't move the deraiiler. Help!

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    If you're going to mess with your gears or have go at adjusting them you need to have at least half an idea what you are doing before you start.your post doesn't make much sense -the first two sentences contradict each other.
    No offence but it seems apparent you are struggling with the basics. you will need to do some thorough research into how to set up your gears then come back if you are still struggling.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I suggest you go back to the start.

Undo the cable, wind the barrel adjuster on the derailleur all the way in and then 1.5 turns out. Put the chain on the inner ring and whilst turning the pedals, push the derailleur in to put the chain on the biggest sprocket of the cassette. Now set your low limit screw so the upper jockey wheel is directly under the sprocket. Let the chain move back to the smallest sprocket and set the high limit so that the upper jockey wheel is just outside (towards you and away from the frame) the sprocket. Make sure the shifter is set for your highest gear and pull the cable inner taught to take out any slack. Re-attach the cable. If it doesn't change up to the largest sprocket, you need more tension on the cable by either using the barrel adjuster or by re-attaching the cable with more initial tension. If it won't change down to the smallest sprocket, you have too much tension. Dial out any noise in changes with the barrel adjuster.

If you're using SRAM YAW, rear set up is the same, but front set up is completely different to the standard way of setting a front derailleur.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Semantik wrote:
    If you're going to mess with your gears or have go at adjusting them you need to have at least half an idea what you are doing before you start.your post doesn't make much sense -the first two sentences contradict each other.
    No offence but it seems apparent you are struggling with the basics. you will need to do some thorough research into how to set up your gears then come back if you are still struggling.

I'm new to bike manteinance, and I read up all I could on indexing. By "it went perfectly' I ment just that nothin got worse/broke. Sorry for bein unclear
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    A few days ago I got round to indexing my gears. It went perfectly. Then I realised my first gear wasn't changing properly. Then I did it again but this time messed it up, and tired to readjust it but the barrel adjuster is turning but not actually moving the derauller. With the front derauillurr the limit screws just don't move the deraiiler. Help!

You don't say what type of gears you have? If Shimano, watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQncKmddahk
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda