Change Sora levers/shifters for some with hidden cables?

mintpark
mintpark Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Hi

I bought a Genesis Croix de Fer 10 for light touring and didn't realise the cable salad of Sora - I really wanted to mount a proper handlebar bag and be able to get to it too, and I can't with the cables.

I understand it's nothing's straightforward but is there any way I can change to levers/ shifters that have hidden cable routing?!
(And without spending a fortune ;)

Thanks, K

CdF 10 specs:

Front Derailleur
Shimano Sora FD-3500
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Acera RD-T3000-SGS
Number of Gears
Shifters
Shimano Sora ST-3500
Chain set
Shimano FC-R345, 50/34T
Bottom Bracket
Shimano BB-ES300, 68x113mm
Cassette
Shimano CS-HG300, 11-34T, 9sp
Chain
KMC X9
Brakeset
TRP Spyre-C w/ 160mm Rotors & Jagwire KEB-SL Compression-less Outer
Handlebars
Genesis RandoX Flared (D125 x R70mm)
Stem
Genesis Road, +/-7
Headset
FSA TH-857 Semi-Cartridge
Grips
Genesis Cork Gel
Rims
Alex Rims Draw 1.9P Tubeless-Ready (TCS), 32H
Front Hub
Formula DC-20LW
Rear Hub
Joytech RCC 6-Bolt, 32H

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tiagra 10sp levers, cassette and rear mech would be the minimum. Any recent 10sp Shimano levers and mech would do, so you might find some bargains on ebay or similar...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    You can use V-brake noodles to get your cables out of the way so you can fit a bar bag. A cheap and simple solution but of course the cables are not hidden.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Mercia Man wrote:
    You can use V-brake noodles to get your cables out of the way so you can fit a bar bag. A cheap and simple solution but of course the cables are not hidden.

Like this...?

https://thecrazyrandonneur.wordpress.co ... -shifters/
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    SME wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:

Like this...?

https://thecrazyrandonneur.wordpress.co ... -shifters/

That's it. I read about this some years ago in the CTC magazine. My wife's bike is set up like this.
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    Another option is to replace the shifters with the Sora R3000 shifters which have internal cable routing. Although these have only just been released, so I can currently only find 2 shops in Europe which stock them. I am looking at doing this myself, although there is a chance you will also need to upgrade the Rear Derailer too.
  • 5700 shifters, 10 speed chain and cassette (up to a 34 large cog). The Acera RD has the correct pull ratio. With a bit of cleverness this can be done for about £150.
  • mintpark
    mintpark Posts: 5
    Hey, thanks all, I'm very impressed with this forum (first post) :)
    I like the noodles! - but will probably go for the new Sora bars, if it's just the levers - mentioned to bike shop and they'll fit without charging for work, 128 quid for the levers, could almost have got the higher spec CdF20 for that extra. Bit of a waste of money but anyway... it'll all be neat and tidy in the end.
    Cheers again!