Specialized SCS and after-market disc wheels

deswahriff
deswahriff Posts: 310
edited January 2019 in Workshop
Hi folks, I have a Roubaix Elite Disc 2016 (yes, sucked in by the currrent sale!) and was going through the simple task of resarching after market wheels to upgrade the stock Axis 2's....'till I realised the significance of the SCS designation on the wheels!...so it seems Specialized have invented a whole new standard in rear hub spacing - no doubt well intentioned, (basically improving the chain line by moving the free hub in by a few mill) but it makes it hard to now source new wheels.
I think I've got my head round it and there seem to be 3 solutions: buy Specialized wheels, change to the non SCS rear hanger they now sell, or get hand builts with Hope hubs, apparently the only after-market SCS type hub out there.

So I'm hoping people out there may have real world experience of this issue and can chip in accordingly...note this bike has qr's while most of the stuff I've read on line concerns Thru-Axles...

...I see Axis 4's for sale, apparently a decent wheel, but Thru-Axle only . ...how easy is it to convert a 12mm TA to a 5mm qr? Is it just a case of popping off the end caps and replacing? ( I'm still waiting for Specialized UK to reply to my request for them to please sell me a set of Axis 4's, 6 bolt and qr's...!)

...re the hanger, anyone actually done this? I read about issues with TA's being too short after the change, but don't see this affecting qr's so much, but anyone know?

..as for the Hope hubs, Strada do a build but at £599 plus qr conversion costs, its too steep for me at present.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Moonglu offer a Hope Pro4 build on DT Swiss rims for £400 if that's a bit closer to your budget

https://www.moonglu.com/products/handbu ... 60-db-rims

I bought a set of Archetype/Hope Pro4 disc wheels from them 18months back and can't fault them
  • deswahriff
    ..cheers for that, I'll have a look....if I go the the hanger route, I'd end up getting 2 sets of wheels - couldn't do with the faffing of a hanger change if I need to switch back top the stock items in a hurry!
  • deswahriff
    http://nextdevo.com/blog/2016/6/2/scs-and-quick-release-frames

...hoorah!...seems to explain it quite well and makes sense to me, so the replacement hanger route looks like the way I'll go...

• Thread bump.

I'm in the same situation myself, looking for replacement QR wheels for my 2015 Crux.
    How did you get on with the replacement hanger?
  • ...didn't go the hanger route in the end - the thought of 2 sets of wheels put me off. My local Spesh dealer offered to order me in a set of the Axis 4's (with t/a's) at £240, so a cheap fix and a much better wheel, but a back order time of 3 months (!).
    In the meantime, I picked up a pair on ebay for £200, so happy days ( my dealer was happy to cancel the order).

...I'm hoping in due course that they start off-loading cheap the Roval SCS's, seeing as how Spesh have dumped the whole SCS thing for the 2017 models....!
  • What were they thinking :roll:

From what I've read, I'm lucky in the sense that for my bike (standard frame adapted for the wheels, rather than an SCS frame) changing the drop out to a standard version should be an easy fix, which will make all of the 135mm wheel options available.
  • ti man
    ti man Posts: 41
    Thread bump
    I went down the route of the non scs mech hanger to fit my 2016 diverge carbon expert, I bought a set of Zipp 30 disc course wheels. Gear shifting is more precise a vast improvement on the scs set up.