Is the world going mad?

2»

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If you turned the idea of saints into the Vatican's version of knighthood for good service then I'd believe it's a good thing. She was undoubtedly someone who did immense good but she was doing it with a crisis of faith apparently. I think I heard she had a 30 year discussion with her religious mentor or whatever he was called which was described as a crisis. Not a saint in the old way IMHO but were the old saints really miracle workers if they had been seen in.modern eyes.

Not undoubtedly at all.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... arest.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JxnUW7Wk4
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    I had taken it as a given that Mother Theresa was doing and had done some good. Hitchens sheds a very different but very plausible light.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Pinno wrote:
    I had taken it as a given that Mother Theresa was doing and had done some good. Hitchens sheds a very different but very plausible light.

Hitchens is the Saint, if only he were alive now to weigh in on the big issues of our day. God I miss him.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I'm a saint and so is my wife.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • pinno
    meursault wrote:

Do you mean "My wife is a Saint for putting up with you" ?

There's a philosophical flaw in that.
  • meursault
    Pinno wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Do you mean "My wife is a Saint for putting up with you" ?

There's a philosophical flaw in that.

I have hit the philosophical floor so many times, usually after a few of Belgium's finest.

Voltaire
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Watching the news with Mrs Sciencemike a few days ago, reports on the Nice truck attack, Turkish coup, murders and bombings around the world, crazy politics in Britain:

Mrs Sciencemike: What's going on? The world's going mad
    Me: It's always been like this, look back over the last hundred years; First World War, Fascism, Depression, Second World War, Cold War, (the relatively peaceful 1990s), 9/11 and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Syria.
    (I could also have mentioned the ongoing Middle East problems, various wars in Africa...)

So, a couple of questions against this background.
    Are we now living in particularly troubled times?
    Were the 1990s between the end of the Cold War and 9/11 a particularly peace period?

Any thoughts?

Not to mention the UCI banning oversocks
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    Imo the world hasn't gone mad, well any madder. On second thoughts perhaps it has, we live in a world now where we have access to news at the touch of a button, we can have updates pinged to our phone's telling us Paul Hollywood is going to c4 or a Kardashian has done something. We now devour news constantly where as 20 years ago catching up on what's happening in the world meant going to a shop and buying a paper or using the tv and accessing relented.
  • ballysmate
    Paul Hollywood is going to c4 or a Kardashian has done something.

What? Where? Why haven't these things got their own threads?

Oh, I see the bint with the big ass has. :wink:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    the world is going mad ...... Kim robbed at gun point ...... really, you are stod in front of Kim Kardashian, with a mask on, and a gun pointed at her .... yet you DONT pull the trigger

WTF !!!!!
  • pinno
    "Ooh burglars. If I give you a bj, can you lock me in the cupboard after and mess the place up a bit before you go? Cheers".
  • meursault
    Redbaron1 wrote:
    Imo the world hasn't gone mad, well any madder. On second thoughts perhaps it has, we live in a world now where we have access to news at the touch of a button, we can have updates pinged to our phone's telling us Paul Hollywood is going to c4 or a Kardashian has done something. We now devour news constantly where as 20 years ago catching up on what's happening in the world meant going to a shop and buying a paper or using the tv and accessing relented.

I did read this twice, but I still can't see any news in it. The last news item on TV or in a 'newspaper' was maybe VE day. :roll:

I saw that Kardashian thing once, when the kids had it on (no-one was really watching it) and it mystified me. I don't know what was going on, or what I was watching. The world has indeed gone mad.

Voltaire
  • pinno
    As long as you don't use events in the world as a yardstick for your own sanity or rationale, you should be fine.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Some parts of it are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-37693295

You can just imagine it
    Official to homeless person 'I'm fining you £100 for sleeping in the street'
    'Er, I don't have £100, it's why I'm sleeping in the street.'
    Official 'Never mind that, give me an address so we can prosecute you when you fail to pay'
    'Er,...'

Genius.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    honey-split.png?w=1024&h=683
  • ballysmate
    RideOnTime wrote:
    honey-split.png?w=1024&h=683

Daughter watching tecording of X Factor this morning.

Honey G?????

Am shaking my head in bewilderment.