Newbie Bike Buying

johnny37
johnny37 Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I am a long time runner getting into cycling due to knee issues. I have decided on a Caad12. I was fitted for a 56 cm. However, while test riding, I rode a 54 cm Supersix (setup to me) to see how that frame felt. The 54 felt better overall to me than the 56 did. I realize it's carbon vs aluminum...that's not where it felt better. My overall position/body geometry (not sure proper term) felt better. My question is should you buy the size you are fitted for, or the size that feels best? Thanks for the info.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think it depends how good your bike fit was. And don't forget that if you're new then a decent position will feel odd to you. You often see new cyclists riding round with saddles way too low for example.

Why not talk to your fitter about this?
  • cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    also

if u r new to riding or have'nt rode for some time then an alloy frame is your best bet.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    cantaloupe wrote:
    also

if u r new to riding or have'nt rode for some time then an alloy frame is your best bet.

Why do you say that? Interested because am relatively new back to riding, have a steel framed Condor that I love. But am hankering after a much lighter BMC Team machine.