Newbie debates higher-spec used vs low-spec new

DCyclist
DCyclist Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've been looking to start road biking for a little while and am trying to find a bike that would be a good starting point.

Quickly the difficulty has been what I can afford... I'm fresh out of college and don't have huge discretionary income. I figure that any bike I get is what I will ride for the first few years, after which- if I have got into it as I plan to- I'll be able to afford a significant upgrade.

I went to one of my LBS that specializes in used bikes (they take them apart, go through and service/replace any worn parts). Eventually we settled on a Fuji Newest they had advertised for $650. I got to ride it for 10 minutes or so, but honestly, I'm so green that I barely knew what to be looking for! I thought it was a fairly smooth ride.

They advertised the bike as a "around 2010" bike... I've done more research and have found it to be a 2003 Fuji Newest with a Tiagra groupset and a TruVativ Elita crank, gearing for the front is 30/42/52 and back is 9-speed, 12 - 25 teeth. The original Ritchey Comp wheels have been replaced with Ritchey Aero.

That being said I would like your advice as to how good value that bike is for $650.The store gives me a 30 day window where I can return the bike for full refund, no questions asked. I am in the DC area and it is purchased from a brick-and-mortar store, not CL, so I understand that both of those factor into the price.

Further, I am wondering if you think if I would be better off with a brand new, lower spec bike like the Specialized Allez E5 or Trek 1.1 C- that $770 price point is pretty much all I can afford. I know that for that option I am losing a lot of gearing, but I also wonder if a 13 year old Tiagra is any better shifting than a brand new Claris.

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A 13 yo bike for that amount ? I'm not sure it was that price new.

I'd go for a newer bike with a lower groupset. Improvements trickle down and I'd take say a new Ultegra over DA a few years old. 13 years is prehistoric.
  • DCyclist
    DCyclist Posts: 3
    I think it retailed for $900 in 2003... so that would be just south of $1200 in 2016 dollars, though obviously wouldn't retail for that much today.

I'm guessing that maybe 50%+ is labor on going through the old bike and storefront? It only even approaches making sense that way...