warranty issues

alexgeorge
alexgeorge Posts: 14
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
anyone having any issues with Cannondale warranty ? ive been told they are not warrantying anything at the moment.26/07/2016 just spoken to Cannondale warranty department and they are warrantying bikes

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Who told you that ?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sounds like bobbins to me...
  • alexgeorge
    Evans I've got a bike in for warranty and they told me this.
  • alexgeorge
    edited July 2016
    cannondale supersix evo 105 less than 300 miles ,rear mech or drop out failure broken seat stay,dropout and derailleur .big ring 3 cogs down slight incline in the road then chaos.
    how do i post photos? ok got it couple of photos to follow,
  • alexgeorge
    288sno.jpg
  • alexgeorge
    acelo9.jpg
  • cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    wow

I was thinking of getting a cannondale in the next two weeks.

thinking differently now.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I've got the same bike and it has drop-out issues that have caused tyre wear to the inside of the left chainstay. It's gone back the UK importer for assessment. Will report back when I hear from them.
  • alexgeorge
    don't be put off its a fantastic bike i think this was a freak issue.
  • alexgeorge
    mine is still in the shop. did your lbs send it back to the importer ? i bought mine on the 29/1/16
  • alexgeorge
    I'm starting to think the hanger just snapped and sent the mech into the wheel
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I cant imagine Cannondale issuing that statement without giving a good reason or explanation. Did they give you some kind of time frame ? or date to start the warranty process ? They wouldn't just leave you in the dark i don't think. I'd contact them directly myself and get official confirmation of that. Evans could easily be fobbing you off if they have a back log of warranty cases they cant be a*sed dealing with.
  • alexgeorge
    I've sent an email to cyclingsports group who are the importers of Cannondale no reply yet. evans told me they are not warrantying anything but I can buy a new frame for£480 . hoping for an update tomorrow. i really thought this would be a straightforward issue but not.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Company supplies/sells 1,000's of bikes with no issue ... One dude doesn't get the answer he wants so rubbishes a multi-million pound business ... Hmmm, who to believe ...

9 'dales have made their way through this home with ZERO issues and buddies have had similar experiences (20 y/o prototypes still on the go) ...

You (may) have been unlucky, it happens ... But also, a company that offers lifetime warranty to original owner provides just that if good reason ...

Either you or Evans are at it ... Hopefully you work out which one ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • alexgeorge
    i haven't rubbished anyone if you read my post i think they are great bikes and i think it was a freak incident
    but thanks for your input.
  • tomisitt wrote:
    I've got the same bike and it has drop-out issues that have caused tyre wear to the inside of the left chainstay. It's gone back the UK importer for assessment. Will report back when I hear from them.
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13064308

Join the club, I got told to go forth and multiply!
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Bike companies tend not to warranty the issue you've had, its generally down to bad bike set up so id speak to Evans.
    If the limiter screw isn't set right the chain slips over the cassette at the back, it gets tangled in the wheel and if you continue to pedal it can snap the hanger, rip the mech off and whip around and crack the frame.
    They'll also say if you stopped pedalling it wouldn't have happened.
    9 times out of 10 it happens on a climb when you're in the big cog at the back.
    Its a common issue in cycling, I'd check Evans have a pre delivery inspection form signed and I'd get somebody to speak to the mechanic who built your bike.
    This isn't a Cannondale issue its an Evans problem and it seems they're trying to fob you off.
    Cannondale are generally very fair with warranty and they judge everything on a case by case basis like all the biggest and best bike manufacturers.

If you where in the 3rd cog at the back then it's difficult to diagnose but snapped mech hangers are rarely if ever warrantied.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Whilst the bike may be subject to warranty from the manufacturer, your claim is against the retailer.

The manaufacturer could quite rightly say that it isn't a manufacturing fault and reject a warranty claim - that doesn't have to end your claim though - your claim with the retailer can still stand IF it's a setup issue on their part.

The reasons for rejecting your claim would include self setup and dropping it on the drive side - self setup - you had changed the limiter screws or not checked them and dropping it on the drive side could bend the mech in so it catches the spokes.

Assuming your scenario is true then the mech wouldn't be anywhere near the spokes - so what reason could there be for the hanger to break? Fatigue? repeated bending. Faulty? It's not unreasonable to assume that the hanger was at fault -I guess the bike supplier would normally supply a complete bike - so failure of the hanger could still be a warranty claim.

Did you pay any part of the bike on a VISA debit or credit card? May be worth getting in contact with them as they may help you with your claim.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good advice there ^^^ Try getting hold of someone senior in the Evans shop and see if you can get a common sense discussion (don't get riled or drawn into anything combative).
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Manufacturers don't warranty mech hangers, they're designed to break in event of a chain jam. They snap to save the frame.
    In any muddy cyclocross race you'll generally get multiple mech hanger snaps.

I'd still pursue Evans regarding the set up, if the limiter screw isn't set properly you'll still be able to tell, that's generally the culprit in this scenario.
  • alexgeorge
    I've probably rode the bike 12 times since new
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    While the bike may have been set up properly when it left the shop it does not have to stay that way. A bad shift can bend the hanger and the trouble starts there. I think the claim against Evans is shakey. not what you want to here but from what I have read of this it seems that way.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I bought my bike a few years ago from Evans (on-line). The rear mech failed sending the chain into the wheel. I took the bike to a local Spesh dealer who confirmed that was the case (IHO), Evans still disputed it so after a lot of angry phone calls I got them to agree to send the rear mech to the UK distributor for SRAM to determine if the mech was faulty, they agreed that it was at fault and Evans then had no leg to stand on having to cover the cost of putting the bike right.

They were a pain in the back side to deal with and you will need to push them hard to agree to do anything, I will never buy from Evans again as there after sales was atrocious