One Handed Rider Bike Set Up Help, hybrid or road?

Aggerdoo
Aggerdoo Posts: 94
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi Sorry to post twice but wasn't sure if this should go in buying advice or workshop. I've attached the post I put in buying advice if anyone can help.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13067672#p19923759

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• My wife lost both of her arms. I have been looking into building a trike for her. Look into a Schlumph Bottom Bracket. Shifting for your chainring is via internal gears of the BB with a click from your heel. There is not a front derailleur involved. That should simplify things on your handlebar for you. http://www.cyclemonkey.com/schlumpf-innovations.shtml I hope this helps.
  • Aggerdoo
    Aggerdoo Posts: 94
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13067672
    I've provided an update on this forum of what I've done with the bike, thanks for the advice :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are a fair few one handed/armed riders out there riding either, pick which feels best for you, 1x gearing is an obvious thing to use, flat bars make it easier to run both brakes from a single lever (smaller rear disc to balance braking effort) by using a high capacity lever (such as Shimano Saint) with low capacity callipers such as XT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • allen-uk
    allen-uk Posts: 146
    I can't contribute much to the technicalities of this debate, except to say 'think electric', but I wanted to make this general comment.

I am classed as disabled, only having one leg, but compared to your girlfriend, Agerdoo, and your wife, Soulknight, I count myself very lucky. The thought of facing each day with only one arm, or NO arms, is almost too hard to contemplate. Everything that they do must be another damned challenge. Everything.

To say I have respect for your girlfriend and your wife is far too weak a word. They are both shining examples of what the human spirit can achieve. (And whoever called them the 'weaker' sex?)

I wish you all well, and all like you who seize life and live!

Allen.