A3 London to Portsmouth

trug
trug Posts: 8
edited July 2016 in Road general
Hi
I was wondering if anyone uses or has cycled down the A3 recently and how it is for cycling regarding safety more than speed really. I would be looking to go from Putney to Pompey and wondered about how far the lanes run alongside etc.
Cheers

Comments

• rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    I wouldn't dream of doing it!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    That would not be fun.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dude - just look at Google Maps and do the Streetview for the A3 - looks awful for cycling.
  • trug
    Thanks probably not the most enjoyable ride in the world. My brother used to do it in the early 80's (madness) Just wondered if there was a cycle lane or something alongside these days. Even if there is the proximity to traffic is not appealing. Just wondered really if anyone had actually done it recently.
    Thanks will check streetview with a coffee later
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited July 2016
    It's a motorway in all but name. No cycle lanes as far as I can see. Lot's of nice country lanes from the M25 to the south coast. Have a look around for routes away from the main roads.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Why the fuck would you want to do that? Especially as there's plenty of the old A3 still functioning perfectly (you'll have to find a new route around the Devil's Punch Bowl but that's not difficult, so if you wanted to do it as a "nostalgia trip" then it would be quite pleasant!

There is no cycle lane.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    There are paths down a fair amount of it.

Clubs run TTs along certain sections of it ...

I wouldn't ride on it ...
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    A club run I was on went on a short section (Liphook/Hindhead area - not the tunnel) as a bit of a link. Not nice, wouldn't ride on it by choice.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This might help a bit - http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    Avoid the A3! There are short sections of cycle way alongside the carriageway between Liphook and Greatham and again between Liss and Petersfield. Heading south after the Emsworth exit it becomes a motorway. Us Petersfield locals are awaiting the long overdue "missing link" currently part constructed, which will connect Petersfield via cycleways over the Southdowns to Clanfield. In the meantime the only safe cycling routes over the South Downs are via Buriton or over Butser Hill (some nice climbs if you're interested!).
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    I mistakenly ended up doing a long stretch of it a while back, bad. The worst bit was all the road debris to the side of it, not good..
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Don't even think about it!
  • trug
    Thanks again. I didn't realise that it was different entirely to in olden times. I will find a better route. It is not so bad down a ways from Richmond so likely I will get a route from the m25 like suggested.
    Thanks again for the input...
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Long sections are pretty much like a motorway so definitely to be avoided.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Trug wrote:
    Thanks again. I didn't realise that it was different entirely to in olden times. I will find a better route. It is not so bad down a ways from Richmond so likely I will get a route from the m25 like suggested.
    Thanks again for the input...

I wouldn't ride even a mile on it. You would be just asking for some idiot to wipe you out.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Even if you didn't get flattened by some inattentive dope, I think the sheer noise would drive you bonkers before you got there. I'd get the train to Dorking (or Betchworth or Boxhill/Westhumble) and then get on some of the gorgeous country roads and take it from there.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    To start your route - go from Putney to Sheen, head into Richmond Park, come out at Kingston Gate, go through Kingston and get onto Portsmouth Road which runs alongside the river. Stay on there to Esher.

That eradicates the need for you to touch the A3 for the first part of the trip.