New chain fitted - issue with

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I am running a 10 speed (11-36) XT rear cassette with XT shifters and rear mech. I have changed the chain as it was due a change before the cassette had worn out.
I have put a SRAM chain on and it shifts well and runs nicely except for one problem.

When I shift into the smallest 2 chainrings on the rear cassette there is a clunking noise (seems that some of the chain rubs a little)and doesn't run as smoothly as all of the other chainrings. The cassette isn't worn so I am struggling to think what is the answer. It is more apparent when I am in the biggest front chainring and the two smallest at the rear.

Do I need to index the gears? It surely doesn't matter that I have used a SRAM chain (or KMC) and not a Shimano one.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Start with indexing your gears, then come back and ask for more help.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    You should not need to index because of changing chain brand provided the chain is compatible. Maybe the old one was badly worn and this is showing up in the new one. Maybe the length is a link or two different. Anyway a quarter turn either way on the tensioner by the gear shifter should fix it. Have a look at the chain line. The clunking is a good sound. Lack of smoothness is bad (boy do I know all about lack of smoothness).
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Start with indexing your gears, then come back and ask for more help.

This anyway, then think more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    After looking, it was the front mech when in the largest chainring on the front. It was ever so slightly rubbing against the chain when the chain was shifted into the two smallest rings on the rear cassette.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which it shouldn't be in anyway, so not really an issue!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Really? Read it again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    Which it shouldn't be in anyway, so not really an issue!

Largest front and smallest rear. Nothing wrong with that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, read it back to front, apologies.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Senility setting in, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools