Orbea Orca head tube cable guide broken

1dav989
1dav989 Posts: 6
edited July 2016 in Workshop
Hi, yesterday the cable guide broke off my frame while cycling home from work...

I've contacted Orbea but it appears the lifetime warranty doesnt apply as I didnt register within 30 days of purchase :cry:

It appears to just be glued in place, no rivets or anything....can anyone give some advice on what I can do to fix this thing up? I'm shocked at this happening as the same problem happened on an alu Orbea bike I had previously....

[img][/img]28352171311_16b9421250_h.jpgWP_20160720_002 by David Langman, on Flickr

I certainly can't afford another replacement for this bike, but don't know what to do to fix it....I bought it from a shop in London but have since relocated so its not really an option to take back to them either...

Is there a glue of some sort I could use to bond it back on??

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Cheers

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Easy Composites website has a carbon-filled epoxy repair resin for about a tenner - it dries black and is very strong. Used it to repair multiple dinks/chunks out of carbon wheels as well as bonding carbon tubes to make a computer mount. Make sure the parts are clean and grease free before applying the resin, maybe lightly abrade surfaces and leave overnight to cure - it'll probably be stronger than the original.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The 100g kit should be loads.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    1dav989 wrote:
    Hi, yesterday the cable guide broke off my frame while cycling home from work...

I've contacted Orbea but it appears the lifetime warranty doesnt apply as I didnt register within 30 days of purchase :cry:

It appears to just be glued in place, no rivets or anything....can anyone give some advice on what I can do to fix this thing up? I'm shocked at this happening as the same problem happened on an alu Orbea bike I had previously....

[img][/img]28352171311_16b9421250_h.jpgWP_20160720_002 by David Langman, on Flickr

I certainly can't afford another replacement for this bike, but don't know what to do to fix it....I bought it from a shop in London but have since relocated so its not really an option to take back to them either...

Is there a glue of some sort I could use to bond it back on??

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Cheers
    Even if you had registered their idea of a life time warranty is to pop rivet the guide back on and they do the one that hasn't broken at the same. Mine went after about 12 months so I was expecting a replacement frame, which was what I thought I would get by going with a manufacturer with life time warranties.
    One lives and learns.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    This one: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... fibre.html

Don't buy the lifetime warranty - it's marketing BS IME to cover a product with a history of problems - many of the products with the 'best' warranty are also the ones with the biggest history of problems
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd try sticking it back on with superglue. Looks like that's what they did originally. Quite a large area so it should hold.

Poundland.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Or epoxy resin.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bimboles
    bimboles Posts: 13
    Well I had exactly the same problem on a 2013 ORCA Bronze. Fortunately it was registered so they honoured the warranty. I sent it back via a local dealer at the end of May this year and the returned it withing 2.5 weeks with the cable guides riveted and bonded back on. Unfortunately they had managed to fill the cable guide hole with resin and I was unable to get the cable through, so I was forced to carefully clear this. They had also sent the frame back without any protection for the rear drop out so when I tried to fit the rear wheel I found that the drop out had been compressed and I was unable to get the wheel in. They have offers me a replacement frame but can't give me a date for this as they have run out of stock.

I have mixed feelings about the warranty. My current frame is a replacement for a faulty 2009 Onix. So they have always honoured the warranty without any hassles. But their logistics seems to be some what lacking and there doesn't seem to be much point offering a lifetime warranty if you don't keep replacement stocks.

So I'm still waiting for a a replacement and so far I've had to do the Etape du tour on a friends cross bike and have a pair of brand new wheels that I've only managed to do 200 miles on this summer.

Fingers crossed they'll get something sorted soon.

With regards to your issue I believe that a good frame repairer will be able to sort this out. But I'd also consider contacting orbea again as this seems to be a recurring issue that may be a design fault.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can't help but think the Poundland / Superglue / DIY option would've been a lot less hassle...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    bimboles wrote:

With regards to your issue I believe that a good frame repairer will be able to sort this out. But I'd also consider contacting orbea again as this seems to be a recurring issue that may be a design fault.
    Presumably that's why the following years model had internal cables with no cable stops to shear off.