Square Taper Crankset

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Afternoon

The BB on my commuter has started banging after 3000 miles, turns out it's a FSA powerdrive crank and BB, replacement BBs are expensive (around £30) and I'm not impressed with the lifespan, looking at the design it reminds me of the fabled isis bb, large diameter shaft with very small bearings?

Anyway I like simple stuff on my work bikes so would prefer to replace with a square taper bb & crankset rather than HT2 or similar, mainly because I think I'd need the shell faced and I like the sealed bearing design of the square taper. Any thoughts on this, recommended cranks etc. Rest of the gear is 9 speed Sora, 50/34 and prefer black to match the rest.

TIA

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nothing wrong with HT2 (they are also sealed bearings) and the cost of new BB and cranks would be in the same ballpark.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Nothing wrong with HT2 (they are also sealed bearings) and the cost of new BB and cranks would be in the same ballpark.

I agree about HT2, but I'd want to get the shell faced ( a bit OCD) so would need to factor this in too. I've got the HT spanner but need an adapter for HT2 I think.

Would HT2 have a wider Q factor? Is this important?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    HT and HT2 are two entirely different standards, so having an HT tool would not be relevant. Unlikely the shell would need facing - and there is no difference in Q factor anyway..
  • Imposter wrote:
    HT and HT2 are two entirely different standards, so having an HT tool would not be relevant. Unlikely the shell would need facing - and there is no difference in Q factor anyway..

Ah ok, my confusion, I have the HT2 tool it appears, I saw this somewhere I thought there was a new HT version out

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod137442