Google Maps navigation problem

Cheeseontoast
Cheeseontoast Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in Road general
Hi,

I have created a number of circular routes using Google Maps. They are for cycling routes that begin at my home, and eventually return back to my home. I have transferred the routes from my PC (Windows) to my mobile phone (Android) so that I can use the SatNav voice feature to guide me through each route as I cycle.

However... the latest update of Google Maps means that when I open the link on my phone, instead of the route I had created, it just calculates the shortest route from my start-point to my end-point - i.e. about 10 metres!

After a bit of research, it seems that the latest version of Google Maps requires me to re-create the routes using a series of multiple destination (instead of just dragging out the route to whichever road I wanted to go down).

I did this, but when I tried to put it into practice, as soon as I reached the first of many ‘stops’ on my multi-destination route, it said "you have reached your destination".

It is very frustrating as I have enjoyed using Google Maps' SatNav feature on my phone to guide me through long complex cycling routes for many weeks. But since the latest 'upgrade', that feature seems to have gone.

Please can someone who knows what's going on tell me how to create a cycling route on Google Maps that (a) doesn't switch automatically to the shortest route and (b) doesn't halt at the first stop on route comprising multiple destinations?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Did you ever find an answer to this? I've exactly the same issue. I want turn-by-turn directions delivered on Bluetooth headphones connected to me phone stored in a small bike bag. The routes are quite complex so I have to define multiple destinations to force the route to follow, for example, B roads. This works a treat, until I reached each of the several destinations - this requires me to stop, remove the phone from the bag (put on my reading glasses!) and then press an option on the screen so that Google Maps will then move on to providing turn-by-turn navigation to the next destination, retrn phone to the bag and then repeat this procedure a couple of miles later. It's so close to being exactly what I want!
  • Yes, that's exactly the stage I am at with it (including the reading glasses!) - having to stop at each 'destination' to start the next stage of the navigation.

One other point that I keep meaning to investigate is the use of an offline map...
    If you are travelling on roads alone, it may help to download a map for use offline (see the Google Maps menu, you can download most of England, for example). I have not tried this myself, but I have heard that this makes life easier - but only when you select a car journey (not a bike). When I use it, I am usually travelling along dedicated cycle paths as well as roads, so it would be no use to me.

But, God it is a pain not being able to create a custom-made journey and have it navigate it as a single session without having "you have reached your destination" every five minutes. Especially as it used to do this perfectly before the upgrade earlier this year. I have thought about uninstalling the upgrade and going back to the previous version, but then I'd be stuck on that forever and missing out on other upgraded features.

If every you find a solution to this, please let me know, and I will if I find one.

Good luck!
  • Slightly off topic but if like me you need reading glasses then these are great. Put them in your regular cycling glasses, they don't interfere with foreward vision but are in just the right place to glance down at your garmin.

http://www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk/ac ... enses.html
  • I was experimenting with this earlier in the summer and managed to get a working solution (Android phone) as follows:

1) Create a map on the computer using Strava (which seems best for multiple waypoints, create a new waypoint for each junction).

2) Export the map to Locus Maps (free Android app)

3) Use the navigation function in Locus maps for the turn-by-turn directions

I did have some trouble forcing the directions to the Bluetooth headset rather than the phone speaker. I solved this with another free app called Soundabout.

Good luck!
  • Thanks Ascot17 - that sounds great.

I've never heard of any of those apps, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks again!